Atlanta Hawks at Heat: Game thread
Miami–All Hawks except Kirk Hinrich (shoulder) are good to go. Donald Sloan is inactive.
- Hinrich is to see his doctor tomorrow but Larry Drew still isn’t sure when he will return. “Hopefully we will get him back soon,” Drew said.
- Mike Miller (hernia), Eddy Curry (hip) and Mickell Gladness (foot) are out for the Heat.
- Josh Smith has some swelling in his right knee. He had an ice pack on it at shootaround. Reminded of the spectacular dunk he had during Atlanta’s 93-89 victory here last season, Smith said: “I have to try to re-live it.”
- Marvin Williams said he suffered nose bleeds while sleeping in two of the past three nights. “I thought my nose was running, so I wipe and there is blood everywhere,” he said. “It used to happen me to when I was a kid but it’s been a long time.”
- Drew on Williams: “He’s playing much better basketball than last year. He’s looking for his shot more. I’ve given him more freedom to be a little bit more creative with his shot. When he’s on the floor making shots he’s a big weapon for us. Chances are teams are going to double team us a lot with Joe [Johnson] so it’s important we spread [with] the shooting.”
- Drew on splitting minutes between Williams and Tracy McGrady, who finished the game at Houston: “I’ve been just kind of going with feel. It seems like T-Mac is starting to get his legs under him a little bit. I thought he played really well in the Houston game. At the same time I have to be mindful of the minutes he gets. I don’t want to wear him down.”
- Drew said the Hawks should draw confidence from winning at Miami last season but cautioned: “We are looking at a different [Heat] team. From the games I’ve seen they look like they are a team on a mission. You can’t get into a run-and-shoot game with this team. They run with force. They run in waves.”
- Al Horford on winning here last season: “It’s a new season. If we can take anything from it, we have done it here before. But obviously we have to validate it this season.”
- This is the fifth game in seven days for the Hawks. “Physically, I think we are OK,” Drew said. A little mental fatigue may start to settle in a little bit. Something we talked about before we started is it’s something you have got to push through. All teams are going through it. We cannot and will not use that as an excuse. We will play the hand that has been dealt to us. It can take a toll on you if you allow it to. It’s imperative that they take care of themselves.”
Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat