Atlanta Hawks at Bobcats: Game thread
Charlotte–The Hawks plan to sign point guard Jannero Pargo. He’s expected to join the team tomorrow.
Pargo, 32, was didn’t play in a game during a 14-game stint with Chicago last season after playing 63 games for the Bulls in 2009-10. He’s a high-usage guard who isn’t much of a shooter but takes the bulk of his shots from 16 feet and out. His assist rate was among the lowest for point guards in 2009-10, according to hoopdata.com
Pargo’s defensive PER numbers as a point guard in 2009-10 weren’t good, according to 82games.com. His Synergy defensive numbers that season were weak and Chicago allowed two points fewer per 100 possessions when he was off the court, according to basketballvalue.com.
- Larry Drew is using the regular lineup but he plans to play the starters no more than 20 minutes. Jason Collins (knee) is out for precautionary reasons. Magnum Rolle (foot) said he’s good to go.
- In addition to evaluating the young guards, Drew said he wants to try out different lineups combinations to see how players fit together. “I want to take a look at all the new faces and see how they fare with all the things we’ve put in,” he said.
- Drew said he also would deploy the new, aggressive defense. “It’s a tough think to break bad habits–not bad habits, but when you are used to doing things a certain way,” Drew said.
- The Hawks are paying for tolls on GA 400, including Cruise Card and Peach Pass lanes, tomorrow from 7-9 a.m. Dominique Wilkins will be among those handing out schedule magnets and $50 gift cards to be used for Hawks ticket purchases.
- Corey Maggette (back), Melvin Ely (dehydration), Eduardo Najera (knee) and Reggie Williams (knee) are out for the Bobcats.
Michael Cunningham, Hawks beat