– The Hawks needed something extra from the bench on the second night of a back-to-back and with Jamal out and J.J. getting over his flu. But the Heat’s bench players outscored their Hawks counterparts 45-8, including 26-5 in the second half.
– With that kind of production from the Heat’s reserves, it hardly mattered that Dwyane Wade had a relatively quiet game with 18 points. “Their bench really beat us,” Smoove said. “Mostly when they had their run, ‘D-Wade’ was on the bench. We can’t let that happen.”
– That was bad, yet the most alarming part was seeing the Hawks sag their shoulders, scrunch their faces and seemingly throw in the towel when the Heat made its fourth-quarter run. “We had a lot of mishaps we don’t normally have,” J.J. said.
– Smoove looked particularly sour in the fourth. “It’s kind of frustrating when you don’t even give yourself a chance to win from the beginning,” he said. “I don’t think we really came to play.”
– The Hawks saw their three-game winning streak snapped and missed out on tying the 1993-94 team for most Ws before the All-Start break (34).
– After hearing a teammate talk about his plans for the break, one Hawks player said to another teammate: “It was like guys were already on vacation.” His teammate agreed.
– The Hawks needed someone else to score with Jamal (shoulder) a late scratch. Instead, J.J. was 7 of 21; Marvin was 3 of 11; Bibby was 1 for 6 on 3s, and Joe Smith, Mo, and Teague combined to shoot 2 for 8 in 41 minutes.
– The Hawks didn’t do much against the Heat’s zone D. “I like when teams play zone but we didn’t respond to it very well,” Woody said.
– Both teams played last night but only the Heat looked sluggish early. The Hawks came out challenging everything on D. Then the Heat’s bench took over.
– Udonis Haslem scored 10 points in the second, Dorell Wright had five in the third and Daequan Cook made all three of his 3-point attempts in the fourth. The Heat outscored the Hawks 27-12 in the fourth.
– “Just an awful fourth quarter,” Woody said. “We either ran out of juice or didn’t have the energy to get through it. They (the Heat) were laboring a little bit in the fourth quarter too but they found some energy somehow and got it done.”
– Interesting quote from Wade on Cook’s night: “Tonight versus a team that has a roamer in Mike Bibby, he was able to get into a rhythm with his shooting.”
– Woody wants the Hawks to come back from the break re-committed. “I think this will be good in the long term,” Al said. “We just have to come back refocused.”
– Iso-Joe wasn’t good tonight. Three possessions with a missed fadeaway 3-point attempt by J.J. (Mo rebounded, got fouled and made 1 of 2 FTs), a baseline layup by J.J. and a missed J.J. runner in the lane as fans grumbled.
– The Iso-Joe count in the fourth quarter of five games: 10 possessions, 11 points, one turnover, two missed shots by teammates and two offensive rebounds.
– I’m out, Hawks fans.