I’m at the homestead for this one and will be watching on the television as you all will.
Some thoughts and on we go.
Why the Hawks win tonight
1) Marvin Williams has gotten himself in a groove and has an exploitable matchup against Peja Stojakovic.
2) The Hawks asserted themselves as the better team a week ago. Their fourth-quarter run from the last game may linger somewhere in the Hornets’ collective memory.
3) Joe Johnson and Josh Smith played below their capabilities Friday. Bibby’s numbers weren’t outstanding, either. It’s unlikely it happens two nights in a row.
Why they won’t
1) They’re just due. It’s the second game of a back-to-back with a flight in-between. The Hawks haven’t had back-to-backs in the streak except for the start. Further, the Hornets have been home all week and come into the game on a day of rest.
2) Houston took a lot out of the Hawks Friday night. The Rockets are a relentless bunch, as the final three minutes of the game revealed.
3) The Hornets have found something since losing to Portland and the Hawks to open the Jeff Bower era. They’ve beaten the Clippers and Suns since then. They took down 25 offensive rebounds against Phoenix.