The four middle school students whose crude taunting of an elderly school bus monitor went viral have been handed year-long suspensions from their Rochester New York, school.
(We discussed this nine days ago. You can view the vile video here.)
The monitor, Karen Klein, has received support from around the world, along with $650,000 in donations. (A day after I posted the video, I received a note from a Hilton Head resort offering her a week’s stay; I forwarded the invitation to the school spokeswoman who promised to get it to Mrs. Klein.)
The four boys who taunted a 68-year-old school bus monitor from Rochester, N.Y., prompting outcry over bullying when a video of their insults went viral, have been suspended from their middle school for one year, school officials said on Friday.
The video of the boys’ heaping insults onto the bus monitor, Karen Klein, also generated more than $650,000 in online donations for her to take “a vacation.” The conduct was filmed by one of the boys on a cellphone and uploaded to Facebook. The video found itself onto YouTube, where it surpassed 7.9 million views.
It inspired a Toronto man, Max Sidorov, 26, to set up an online “vacation” fund for Ms. Klein on the online fund-raising platform Indiegogo.com, with a goal of raising $5,000. In four days, the fund grew to $500,000.
Greece Central School District officials said the four boys, ages 12 and 13, will be suspended from Athena Middle School for one year, prohibited from using regular school transportation and required to volunteer 50 hours of community service with senior citizens, as well as complete a program in “bullying prevention, respect and responsibility.”
Since the school district is legally required to provide the boys with a formal education, they will be able to attend an alternative education program in what is called the district’s “re-engagement center,” in a nonschool facility.
In making the announcement, Barbara Deane-Williams, the district superintendent, said it was unusual to publicly announce school disciplinary measures brought against students. But, in this case, she said the boys and families admitted to the wrongdoing, agreed to the suspensions without a hearing and also agreed for the findings to be made public. Ms. Deane-Williams also said that the district staff members, including some on the transportation staff, would be participating this summer in a previously scheduled bullying prevention training program.
–From Maureen Downey for the AJC Get Schooled blog