1. A-back Orwin Smith hurt his shoulder in the third quarter and did not return. He said following the game that “it doesn’t feel too bad. We’ll take this week lightly and I should be out there Saturday.”
Smith finished with four rushes for three yards, his career-low yardage total for a game in which he had more than one carry. He was far more effective catching the ball, contributing 52 yards on four receptions.
2. Georgia Tech is 4-5 all-time in overtime games and 1-2 under coach Paul Johnson. The Jackets beat Wake Forest in Nov. 2009, 30-24, but have lost the last two, in successive games. Before Monday, the Jackets lost to Utah 30-27 in the Sun Bowl.
3. Johnson said the team will be off Tuesday and won’t practice in pads Wednesday followed by a walk-through session on Thursday.
“This was a hard, physical football game, so we definitely won’t be in pads this week,” he said.
4. Georgia Tech is 0-1 for the first time in the Paul Johnson era. The Jackets opened against FCS teams in his first four seasons. The last time Georgia Tech lost its opener was in 2006, when the Jackets lost to Notre Dame 14-10 before going on to win the ACC Coastal Division.
5. Attendance was 65,632. The crowd was nearly all clad in orange, save a sliver of Georgia Tech fans in gold and white. The weather cooperated. While rain was forecast for Monday evening and clouds were dark prior to the game, nary a drop fell on Lane Stadium.