1. Georgia Tech guard Omoregie Uzzi was named a preseason second-team All-America by Sports Illustrated. It’s the latest in a series of honors for the two-time All-ACC selection. Uzzi was also named to the watch list for the Outland Trophy, given to the top interior lineman in the country.
2. Georgia Tech’s scrimmage Saturday morning will be closed to the public. Coach Paul Johnson had been considering making it open to the public, as he has sometimes done in the past. It’s possible a scrimmage Aug. 18 will be open to the public.
3. There is no media availability Thursday and Friday, so no fresh notes until Saturday morning. I’ll be posting a couple other things Friday, namely the next coach in the “10 things” series, offensive line coach Mike Sewak.
A pretty comprehensive Tech preview from the website presnapread.com. It ranks the Jackets No. 27. There’s always plenty of good reading on the Tech website. The football news page is here. The Washington Post reports that Virginia Tech has some injuries that concern coach Frank Beamer.
4. Tech will hold its annual kickoff luncheon for season-ticket holders Aug. 24 at the Cobb Galleria. The keynote speaker will be Tech grad and NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough. Tech alum John Brock, CEO of Coca-Cola Enterprises, athletic director Dan Radakovich and chaplain Derrick Moore will also speak. Team members also attend the function. More information here.
5. Tech practiced Thursday afternoon in full pads in the rain. The Brock Indoor practice facility was used for part of the practice.
Thanks for reading.
Ken Sugiura, Georgia Tech blog