GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Georgia Tech will attempt to extend its season once again, this time in a rematch with No. 1 seed Florida at McKethan Stadium.
Some concerns for Tech:
1. How much does Jake Davies have in the tank? He’ll take the mound for the Jackets and will be sure to have just about the entire McKethan Stadium crowd on his back from the first pitch.
2. Can the Jackets get some runners on and some timely hits? Tech only put one leadoff runner on Saturday night and left 10 runners on base.
3. How much will the team in general have? It’s the Jackets’ third game in 24 hours, and they got about a 90 minutes back at the team hotel before returning to the stadium. Certainly, they’re college kids and they should be able to play two games in a day, but the problem is the team they’re playing isn’t doing the same thing.
“You stand out there in the sun for three hours, it has to take something out of ‘em,” Tech coach Danny Hall said.
4. Who has the emotional edge? The game last night rubbed both teams a little raw.
5. Has Tech’s offensive binge slowed down? Tech scored eight runs in the first four innings against College of Charleston in the opener. Since then, the Jackets have scored five runs over the past 22 innings. College of Charleston pitcher Josh Renfro was pretty tough on the Jackets, who got a little lucky in scoring their three runs.
Let’s see what happens. Enjoy the game.
Ken Sugiura, Georgia Tech blog