1. The Tech golf team will play as the No. 2 seed in the Norman, Okla., regional which will be May 17-19. The Jackets, who won their fourth consecutive ACC tournament in April, will attempt to qualify for their 21st appearance in the NCAA finals out of 22 NCAA regional berths. The top five teams out of the 14-team regional field will advance to the NCAA finals, held at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif., May 29-June 3.
2. Tech alumnus Matt Kuchar contributed $50,000 to the Georgia Tech Athletic Association, a portion of the charitable proceeds generated from the 2011 Presidents Cup held in Australia. Kuchar played on the U.S. team for the first time in his career.
3. The Tech women’s tennis team will make its 13th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance Friday with a first-round match against Oklahoma State. Tech is ranked No. 24; OSU No. 37. The winner advances to play the Alabama-Army winner Saturday. The matches will be held at Alabama.
The second-round winner advances to the NCAA finals at the University of Georgia May 17-22.
Coach Bryan Shelton’s team has advanced to the Sweet 16 seven of the past eight years, including the 2007 national championship season.
Tech’s men’s team did not receive a tournament bid, just the fourth time in coach Kenny Thorne’s 14 seasons that the Jackets have not made the tournament field.
4. Tech’s softball team begins ACC tournament play noon Thursday against Virginia. The tournament will be held at North Carolina. Tech earned the No. 3 seed with a 12-8 record in league play this season, which ended its three-year run as regular-season champions.
The winner of Thursday’s game will play Friday at 1 p.m. against the Florida State-N.C. State winner. Tech is ranked 25th in RPI; NCAA tournament bids go out Sunday at 10 p.m.
5. As noted in the story in Wednesday’s paper, Tech plays Georgia tonight at Russ Chandler Stadium. The game will decide the season series, which the Jackets have won three consecutive years.
At the game, Tech will host more than 100 middle-school baseball players to educate them about sports careers at the college level. Athletic director Dan Radakovich and coach Danny Hall will speak at the pre-game event.
Thanks for reading.
Ken Sugiura, Georgia Tech blog