1. Quarterback Tevin Washington had a season high for rushing attempts, 25, which netted 74 yards, including two touchdowns. In fact, Washington had only had 22 carries through the first three games. He ran a lot of keepers on option plays because North Carolina was defending the B-back dive and the A-back pitch.
“Basically, it was just me and the ‘mike’ linebacker. It was me one on one with him. I was going to make him miss or he was going to make a play,” he said.
2. Stephen Hill on his leaping, one-handed catch on the sideline in the first quarter:
“Tevin put it in a spot that I can go get it only. I just used basketball skills from high school to go up and get the ball. It kind of surprised me. I’m not going to lie to you. It kind of surprised me. Once the ball got to my hands, (I) just used my strength in my forearm.”
3. Washington threw his first interception of the season, but had another efficient passing day – 10-for-14 for 184 yards with a touchdown, a 59-yarder on a well-executed play-action pass that reeled in cornerback Charles Brown. It was a season high for pass attempts.
Said Washington, “Until they start respecting the pass game, we’ll keep hitting big pass plays until they do. Down the road, we’re just going to do whatever it takes to win, whether it’s running the ball or if it’s passing the ball.”
4. Hill on playing a close game:
“We learned a lot coming from this game. I’m glad it kind of it happened like this in a way because it shows that games aren’t going to be easy because we’ve been blowing out the first three teams, what, 40 points and over. I’m glad that it kind of happened this way because it showed that we fought. Our back was against the wall and we were punching back.”
5. Tech safety Isaiah Johnson said he lost the ball he intercepted in the sun after it was tipped by outside linebacker Jeremiah Attaochu. It’s his second of the year.
Johnson said that “I was just praying to God that it was going to hit me and I was going to catch it. Luckily it did. I just fell back. I couldn’t see the ball at all. It shocked me.”
6. Attaochu on tackling UNC running back Giovani Bernard:
“We don’t care how difficult somebody is to bring down. You just have to make the tackle. We play defense and we’re supposed to make tackles. So that’s another thing we’ve got to fix.”
7. Center Jay Finch had a shiner below his right eye, which he said he received when he took an illegal head slap from a North Carolina lineman. Finch called the head slap “probably one of [North Carolina's] favorite pass-rush moves.”
Said Finch, “I guess that’s why they call it the trenches, because it’s a fight every play, regardless of what I’m doing, pass or run block.”
8. After gaining 15 yards on five carries in the first half, B-back David Sims ran 10 times for 56 yards in the second half. Finch said the line made “some small tweaks” at halftime to free up Sims.
A-back Orwin Smith led Tech with 79 rushing yards on seven carries.