Tech’s NFL rookie aspirants got their first preseason game action over the weekend. If assigning winners among players playing different positions, getting varying amount of playing time against different opponents is something you’re interested in, let’s declare Buffalo linebacker Brad Jefferson the winner for his three tackles and sack against Chicago on Saturday.
- Mario Butler got snaps at safety for the Dallas Cowboys against Denver Thursday, a 24-23 Cowboys win. Butler made one tackle, in the third quarter, for Dallas.
- Running back Anthony Allen had one carry for three yards and a pair of catches for 14 yards for Baltimore against Philadelphia in the Eagles’ 13-6 win Thursday. Both passes were from former Virginia Tech star Tyrod Taylor.
- In the Falcons’ 28-23 loss to Miami Friday at the Georgia Dome, fullback Lucas Cox and wide receiver Kevin Cone both played for the Falcons. Cone was targeted with two passes late in the fourth quarter. He caught one of them for 14 yards. I’m told coaches like the play of Cox thus far and is a strong candidate for the practice squad.
- Playing Wildcat, Buffalo Bills quarterback Joshua Nesbitt led the team in rushing with three carries for 30 yards, with a long run of 21 yards. It appeared he got in for one series, late in the third quarter, of the Bills’ 10-3 loss to Chicago Saturday.
As noted, Jefferson was productive, making three solo tackles, tied for second most on the team, with a sack of Nathan Enderle in the fourth quarter. He also was credited with a quarterback hurry.
- In the New York Giants’ 20-10 loss to Carolina Saturday, safety Jerrard Tarrant had two tackles, one of them solo, as well as one special teams tackle. Tarrant got into the game in the second quarter, a good sign for him.