A look at Georgia Tech’s safeties
Switching from the front of Georgia Tech’s defense to the back, we take a look at the safeties:
- Returning starters: Mario Edwards, Cooper Taylor, Rashaad Reid, Dominique Reese, Jerrard Tarrant.
- Others to watch: Jemea Thomas, Isaiah Johnson, Lance Richardson.
- Key losses: Morgan Burnett, who is now with the Green Bay Packers.
- Key fact: The defense gave up 66 plays of at least 20 yards last season.
- Key question: Can the safeties put themselves in the right place at the right time to cut down on those big plays?
- Key question 2: How will Jerrard Tarrant handle safety after starting eight games at cornerback last season? He said he was recruited as a safety. Also, can he be the ballhawk that Burnett was the past two seasons when he intercepted 11 passes?
- Key question 3: Charles Kelly has taken over coaching the entire secondary, after he had the corners and former defensive coordinator Dave Wommack had the safeties last season?
- Outlook: Really, and not to be flip, but the entire defense should be better than it was last season. If new defensive coordinator Al Groh calls a lot of blitzes with the linebackers, the safeties will have to pick up those responsibilities. They all have the athletic ability, as well as the speed.
- Your turn: What say you about the safeties?
For a look at the offensive line, go here
For a look at the running backs, go here
For a look at the defensive line, go here
Follow me on twitter @ajcgatech