A look at Georgia Tech’s offensive line
I felt bad leaving you without a blog for two weeks, so I cobbled this together, using colleague Tim Tucker’s capsule on the Georgia blog. A few more will be coming.
THE OFFENSIVE LINE
- Returning starters: T Phil Smith, C Sean Bedford, T Austin Barrick.
- Others to watch: Guard Omoregie Uzzi and the versatile Nick Claytor saw lots of snaps last season. Guard Nick McRae looked very good in the spring and there are many redshirted players, including Will Jackson and Ray Beno, waiting in the wings.
- Key losses: All-ACC guard Cord Howard graduated and is now with the NFL’s Buffalo Bills. The other starter, Joe Gilbert, will graduate this summer and has transferred to Georgia State. Starting tackle Brad Sellers graduated.
- Key fact: The Jackets led the ACC by averaging 295.4 rushing yards a game last season. They were 87.2 yards ahead of the next-best team, Virginia Tech.
- Key fact II: The Jackets were second in that category in the NCAA, behind Nevada (344.92 ypg).
- Key question: Will the two new guards be able to step in and play as well as last season’s did? Coach Paul Johnson has said the line played well, but there is lots of room to improve.
- Recent developments: Other than the transfers of Gilbert and backup Clyde Yandell, not much.
- Outlook: Should be fine, but we will see. It’s tough to lose that many starters on the line.
- Your turn: What say you about the offensive line?