Ken Sugiura subbing for Doug Roberson at spring practice. Some notes and quotes, forthwith:
1) A lot of learning going on with the defense. Anthony Egbuniwe, who was working at outside linebacker in the new 3-4: “(I was) both nervous and excited, but mainly excited. I’m just ready to see what we can do as a defense. A lot of people are doubting us because we had a lot of people leave us, but I just see it as a better oppportunity for us to show what we can do.”
2) Among other position switches. Dominique Reese is working at corner, Jerrard Tarrant at safety. Didn’t get to talk to Tarrant. Reese, who came in as a corner, said coach Al Groh “felt like I had good hips.”
3) The offense did a little bit of work out of the shotgun. I saw it in some 1-on-1 passing drills.
4) Quarterbacks looked a little shaky in passing drills, as did receivers.
5) Anthony Allen at B-back, as was grayshirt freshman Charles Perkins, wearing Jonathan Dwyer’s No. 21. Perkins looked smooth, if a little slight. Allen on moving to B-back from A-back: “It’s basically getting the ball and running with it. It’s a pretty easy job when you’ve played running back all your life.”
Not rocket science, evidently.
6) First-team offense, tackle to tackle: Nick Claytor, Nick McRae, Sean Bedford, Omoregie Uzzi, Zach Krish. Austin Barrick was in class.