A few tidbits from today’s press conference. Georgia State will face Houston at 8 p.m. Saturday. The game will be broadcast on CSS. It can be heard on 1160, 1690 and 88.5.
1. Curry said he made some “boneheaded calls” during the Jacksonville State, notably the decision to have a quick-kick. The Gamecocks blocked the kick and returned it for a touchdown.
“Things like that drain an immature team,” he said. “Can’t have head coach mistakes, you just can’t.”
He declined to go into the specifics of other examples because he said he didn’t want to embarrass anyone. He did say they could have been more aggressive in some of their play-calls. “Things we had to Albert Wilson we could have used earlier and more often.”
On defense, “when it was clear that Coty Blanchard had our number, we probably should have gotten out of the blitz.”
2. The team needs more mental discipline. As evidence he cited the three personal foul penalties that contributed to Jacksonville State scoring drives.
“Work on it daily in practice. You might get punched in sternum during the pile….”
3. Demarius Matthews will take over return duties for the injured Albert Wilson (hamstring). Darren McCray is back to full speed and will take some of Wilson’s time at wide receiver.
“He comes closest to running as fast as Albert,” Curry said.
4. When asked if the quarterback situation and rotation will be the same as last week, Curry said no. When asked how the rotation may change, he said he hasn’t decided. When asked if Kelton Hill will be included in the rotation, Curry declined to say, other than “Kelton is making his way back to be a part of the team in the most courageous way.”
I’ll have more this week on if Georgia State thinks it can slow down Houston quarterback Case Keenum.
– Doug Roberson, AJC. Follow me on twitter @ajcgsu.