Sitting in my hotel room in Newport News, Va., about to leave for the game. Some thoughts and we’ll get this going.
1) I imagine I’ve said this before, but I think a lot of the game rides on Drew Little’s arm. Old Dominion is pretty stiff against the run – 3.6 yards per carry – and you know the struggles GSU has had running it. Further, ODU’s defense has allowed opposing passers to complete 63.7 percent of their passes, a pretty high number. Bill Curry said this week one particular unit he wanted to watch to see how it stacks up are the receivers. We’ll see how that goes. So, also to that end, tackles Grant King and Clyde Yandell will have to be on their games to slow down ODU defensive end Deron Mayo.
2) GStateBen passes along word that the game will be available at http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-old-dominion.html. He also says that Six Feet Under has DirecTV, so no game watching there.
3) My guess is a big special teams play will factor one way or the other. Both teams have counted on it plenty this season. It still amazes me that ODU has pulled off four successful surprise onside kicks this year. Kinda gutsy. Colby Goodwyn set a Division I (FCS or FBS) record with 333 kickoff return yards. (It obviously helps that he had nine returns, but still an impressive average.)
4) I am hungry and want to eat before I get to the game, so this is it.
5) I’m watching the Notre Dame-Navy game as I write. Is anything more awkward than hearing an announcer (in this case, CBS’ Craig Bolerjack) read a tease for a sitcom? “Everyone knows you’re not supposed to hit on to your friend’s sister, but what happens when your friend’s sister hits on you?” I guess that’s the plot of the upcoming Big Bang Theory. That’s an original one. Next week, I bet someone accidentally schedules two dates on the same night — and tries to keep both!
5) Any predictions on a score before the game starts? Maybe I can scrounge up some sort of prize for closest to the pin.
Please follow me on Twitter!