AA Blog: holiday hoops tournament recaps
Here are some notable performances from Class AA hoops teams who participated in tournaments over the Christmas holidays:
- The Greater Atlanta Christian Spartans turned heads by winning the prestigious Arby’s Classic in Briston, Tenn., a tournament that featured 18 teams from five states and three countries. The Spartans went 4-0 in the tourney with wins over Tabernacle Baptist (Bahamas), Hamilton (Tenn.), Oak Ridge (Tenn.) and, in the all-Georgia championship game, defeated Milton of AAAAAA, 63-56. With the win, the defending state champion Spartans improved to 14-0.
- The Dublin Fighting Irish won all three of their games in The Dublin High School Christmas Tournament they hosted, defeating two Miami schools – Central and Edison – and B.E.S.T. Academy of AAA. The wins moved the Fighting Irish to a 10-3 record.
- The Calhoun Yellow Jackets moved to 10-0 and won the Medi-Thrift Pharmacy Christmas Classic at LaFayette, defeating host LaFayette 55-45 in the championship after wins over Coosa and Trion.
- The Greater Atlanta Christian Lady Spartans matched the boys’ Arby’s Classic success by defeating Hilton Head (S.C.) 49-31 to win the Walnut Grove Christmas Tournament. The win improved the Lady Spartans to 12-3. They also defeated AAAA’s Monroe Area and A’s George Walton in the tournament.
- The Kendrick Lady Cherokees improved to 10-0 on the season after winning the Shaw Tournament at Jordan. They defeated AAAAA’s Northside, Columbus 62-51 in the championship and also had wins over AAAAA’s Hardaway and Central (Phenix City, Ala.).
- The Calhoun Lady Jackets dominated the girls’ side of the Medi-Thrift Pharmacy Christmas Classic as Calhoun swept the tournament. The Lady Jackets moved to 11-3 on the season with a convincing 68-33 win over AAAA’s Dalton in the championship. They also defeated AAA’s Ringgold and AAAA’s Ridgeland by double digits to finish 3-0 in the tourney.
Send Adam Krohn an email at AdamKrohnAJC@yahoo.com and follow him on Twitter.