Here are some of the items of note from Friday’s Class AAAAA games:
- Elijah Sullivan scored the go-ahead touchdown late in the third quarter and Dominick Sanders had two fourth-quarter interceptions to preserve Tucker’s 16-11 victory over Mays that clinched the Region 6-AAAAA championship, the Tigers’ eighth region title in 13 years. Mays failed in its attempt to win its first region title since 2003, but the second-seeded Raiders will get their first home playoff game since 2007 next weekend when they host Clarke Central. Mays lost at Clarke Central in the first round in 2009 and 2010.
- Gainesville’s Deshaun Watson had perhaps his best all-around performance of the season in the Red Elephants’ 55-45 victory against Flowery Branch that clinched the Region 8-AAAAA championship. The senior quarterback, who is the state’s all-time leader in passing yardage, threw for 245 yards and four touchdowns and rushed for 201 yards and two scores, according to the Gainesville Times. Flowery Branch beat Gainesville 35-34 to win the region in 2012, but Gainesville went on to win the state championship.
- The play-in games in 4-AAAAA and 7-AAAAA were free from major upsets. The top four seeds in Region 7 won, including second-ranked Kell, which advanced with a 49-6 victory over Cambridge. Fifth-ranked Creekside beat Ola 49-0 on Thursday in a Region 4 game and advanced to the state playoffs along with Mundy’s Mill, McIntosh and Whitewater. McIntosh is in the playoffs for the first time since 1987, and its eight victories are a school record. The Chiefs travel to Northside-Warner Robins in the first round.
- Warner Robins (2-AAAAA) won its first region championship since 2004 with a 35-7 victory over Lakeside-Evans. The Demons finished tied for first place with Northside, which they beat last weekend. … Ware County (3-AAAAA) clinched its region title last weekend, but the Gators completed an unbeaten region schedule with a 34-0 victory over Effingham County, which fell to the No. 4 seed. … North Paulding (5-AAAAA) won the first region title in the program’s six-year history with a 42-0 victory over Villa Rica, and South Paulding earned the first playoff berth in its eight seasons with a 28-12 victory against Lithia Springs. The big story in Region 5 was the battle for third place, which East Paulding won by beating Allatoona 31-19. Allatoona finishes as the No. 4 seed. … Lee County is the No. 1 seed in Region 1-AAAAA. For the second consecutive season, Harris County prevented Thomas County Central from winning the outright championship. Thomas County Central missed a 24-yard field goal in the closing seconds as Harris County, the defending region champion, held on for a 38-35 victory that created a three-way tie for first place involving TCC, Harris County and Lee County. Lee won the tiebreaker that considered points allowed in region games.
- The results from the final night of the regular season produced some intriguing matchups for the first round of the playoffs next weekend. Some of the best include Stephenson at Flowery Branch, M.L. King at Gainesville and Allatoona at Kell.