North Cobb and Alpharetta can clinch region tiles with victories on Friday.
In Region 4, North Cobb (7-1, 6-0) and junior quarterback Tyler Queen (1,530 yards passing) are at home against Marietta (6-2, 4-2). North Cobb has won five straight in the series. It would be the school’s fifth region title, first since 2007.
In Region 6, Alpharetta (6-2, 5-0) and junior quarterback Austin King (1,568 yards passing) are at Centennial (1-7). Alpharetta is after its second region title, first since 2011.
Lovejoy (8-1) in Region 2 and Hughes (7-1) in Region 3 also can clinch Friday, but only if their second-place teams lose.
Other things to watch this week in AAAAAA:
- Lowndes (7-2, 4-1) plays at Camden County (7-1, 4-0) in the top Region 1 game. Lowndes coach Randy McPherson is 2-5 all-time against Camden County. No other Georgia school has beaten him more than three times. Camden County can win its 13th consecutive region title (second straight in 1-AAAAAA) by beating Lowndes this week and Colquitt County next. Lowndes can finish no worse than second with a victory over Camden but probably won’t win the region because of the 37-7 loss to Colquitt County on Sept. 27. The 30-point spread puts the Vikings at a tiebreaker disadvantage.
- Also in Region 1, the loser of Friday’s Valdosta-Brunswick game is not looking good for the playoffs. Brunswick (3-5, 1-3) is 0-6 all-time against Valdosta (5-3, 1-3), but the Wildcats will be sweating this one.
- Mill Creek (5-3, 3-3) can expect to beat Habersham Central (0-9) this week, but the Hawks will become the best team in the state that won’t make the playoffs unless there’s a major upset in Region 7 – either Duluth (2-6, 2-4) over Collins Hill (7-1, 4-2) or Meadowcreek (1-7, 1-5) over Peachtree Ridge (6-2, 4-2). According to the computer Maxwell Ratings, the region has five of the top 14 teams in AAAAAA. Only four can make the playoffs.
- Archer (9-0, 7-0) has wrapped up Region 8, but a convincing victory over Grayson (4-4, 4-2) might help the Tigers – the only unbeaten team in AAAAAA – get more respect. They would become the first team ever to beat Brookwood, Parkview and Grayson in the same season.
- Walton (4-4, 3-2) has missed the playoffs only once (2009) in the past 12 seasons, but the Raiders need to beat Etowah (7-1, 4-1) to keep fate in their hands. The other big game in Region 5 is Milton (6-2, 3-2) versus Cherokee (5-3, 3-2).