Campbell two-way star Mike Rogers and Griffin dual-threat quarterback Jaquez Parks are the newest players in GHSF Daily’s Player of the Year Watch.
Rogers leads Class AAAAAA in rushing with more than 1,600 yards and also has 80 total tackles. He is recruited as a safety. Rogers has committed to Central Florida.
Parks is leading an offense that has scored at least five touchdowns in eight games, all victories. Griffin averages more than 10 yards per play when Parks runs or passes the ball. Parks is a three-year starter who has thrown for a school-record 4,984 yards and 46 touchdowns.
Here is this week’s top 10:
1. RB Nick Chubb, Cedartown: Chubb rushed for 262 yards and four touchdowns on 26 carries in a 54-28 victory over Cass. For the season, Chubb has rushed for a state-leading 2,115 yards on 200 carries (10.6 yards per carry) and scored 33 touchdowns in eight games, all victories. Cedartown is ranked No. 7 in Class AAAA. Chubb, the No. 1-rated running back prospect in the state, is committed to Georgia.
2. QB Deshaun Watson, Gainesville: Watson’s team did not play last week.For the season, he is 188-of-260 passing (72.3 percent) for a state-leading 2,358 yards and 29 touchdowns with three interceptions in eight games. He has rushed for 413 yards and six touchdowns on 55 carries. Watson, who is committed to Clemson, is the all-time Georgia leader in career passing yards with 13,480.
3. LB/RB Raekwon McMillan, Liberty County: McMillan had 16.5 tackles, four for losses, a sack and one hurried pass in a 34-26 loss to Wayne County. He had 18 yards rushing on six carries. For the season, McMillan has 125 tackles, 26 for losses, six sacks and three forced fumbles. He has rushed for 435 yards on 51 carries (8.5 ypc) and has three catches for 72 yards. He has scored 10 touchdowns. Liberty County is 6-2. The consensus No. 2 college prospect in Georgia made the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Super 11 team.
4. QB Brooks Barden, Cartersville: Barden threw six TD passes in a 47-7 victory over Adairsville, giving him a state-best 32 on the season. He was 15-of-24 passing for 306 yards. On the season, Barden is 104-of-169 for 1,876 yards with only two interceptions for an 8-0 team that is ranked No. 2 in Class AAA. He has 258 rushing yards on 39 carries (6.6 ypc) and has scored four touchdowns. Barden, rated by 247Sports as the No. 1 pro-style quarterback in the state, has committed to Charlotte.
5. DE Lorenzo Carter, Norcross: Carter had nine first-hit tackles, two behind the line of scrimmage, in a 24-20 victory over Peachtree Ridge. For the season, Carter has 82 tackles, 43 first hits, 22 tackles behind the line and three sacks. Carter is the consensus No. 1-rated college prospect in Georgia. Norcross is 7-2 and ranked No. 5 in Class AAAAAA.
6. WR Nate Brown, North Gwinnett: Brown had five catches for 88 yards and two touchdowns in a 53-28 loss to Collins Hill. For the season, Brown has 41 catches for 728 yards and a state-leading 17 touchdowns. He has a TD reception in each of North Gwinnett’s eight games. North Gwinnett is 7-1 and ranked No. 3 in Class AAAAAA. Brown is committed to Missouri.
7. Kawon Bryant, North Oconee: Bryant rushed for 250 yards and four touchdowns on 23 carries in a 45-7 victory over East Jackson. In eight games, Bryant has rushed for 1,960 yards and 35 touchdowns on 203 carries (9.7 ypc) and has 12 catches for 180 yards. North Oconee is 6-2. Bryant is a junior.
8. QB Tyler Queen, North Cobb: Queen was 13-of-23 passing for 138 yards and two touchdowns in a 28-3 victory over Pebblebrook. For the season, Queen is 90-of-165 passing for 1,530 yards and 16 touchdowns and four interceptions. He has rushed for 253 yards and four touchdowns on 52 carries. North Cobb is 7-1 and ranked No. 8 in Class AAAAAA. Queen, a junior, has committed to Auburn.
9. RB/DB Mike Rogers, Campbell: Rogers rushed for 359 yards and four touchdowns on four carries in a 49-35 victory over Kennesaw Mountain. Rogers leads Class AAAAAA in rushing with 1,644 yards on 174 carries (9.4 ypc). He has 80 tackles, 804 return yards, three interceptions and four forced fumbles. Campbell is 4-5 and will not make the playoffs.
10. QB Jaquez Parks, Griffin: Parks was 22-of-27 passing for 271 yards in a 43-13 victory over Upson-Lee. For the season, Parks is 120-of-166 passing (72 pct) for 1,681 yards and 15 touchdowns and two interceptions. He has rushed for 640 yards on 61 carries and scored 13 touchdowns. Parks has an offer from Air Force and is being recruited by Harvard, Yale and Clemson. He has 3.8 GPA. Griffin is 8-0 and ranked No. 3 in Class AAAA.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.