Five observations on Class AAAAAA on a rainy Friday –
- Terrible Tuesday for Top 10: Four Top 10 boys teams have lost this week, all to unranked or lower-ranked teams. No. 3 Archer (12-3) lost to No. 7 Shiloh (11-2) in Region 8, which now has those teams essentially tied for first with one loss, Archer at 7-1, Shiloh at 6-1. No. 5 Morrow, featured in our Tuesday blog, lost to Luella 69-65. No. 6 Hillgrove, which started 11-1, lost to Kennesaw Mountain 70-67. No. 10 Westlake, heavily favored to win its region, lost to Douglas County 96-91.
- Speaking of Westlake: Westlake’s boys and girls teams were ranked, and beaten, on Tuesday against Douglas County. Westlake’s girls, ranked No. 10, lost 54-51. Not a huge upset, really. Douglas County’s girls have won nine straight after an 0-2 start. But Douglas County’s boys are only 7-7. Westlake (10-4) has lost four of its last seven.
- Wheeler vs. Milton: These schools have won six of the past 11 boys state titles in the highest classification, and they met almost under the radar Tuesday in a game at Milton. Wheeler won 62-50. Wheeler is 8-4 and ranked No. 9 but expected to make a run now that some of its key players are fully in the fold. Star guard Elijah Staley, who scored 25 points against Milton, was delayed by football. Sophomore transfer Jaylen Brown, who has offers from Georgia and Georgia Tech as a sophomore, had been injured. Also recently cleared to play is Jerron Love, a transfer from California. Milton, the 2012 champion, is 7-6 and banned from the playoffs by the GHSA because of recruiting allegations.
- Key girls games this weekend: North Cobb (14-1) is ranked No. 3, losing only to a North Carolina team, and plays a big game tonight (Friday) at McEachern, the 2012 state champ. McEachern started 0-5 but is 9-7 and beat Campbell by a point on Tuesday. There are two games between ranked teams on Saturday No. 7 Hillgrove plays at No. 9 Woodstock, and No. 1 North Gwinnett plays at No. 6 Alpharetta. Both are non-region games. Looking further ahead, No. 1 North Gwinnett plays at home against No. 2 North Gwinnett on Tuesday.
- Slow weekend for the boys: There aren’t any games between ranked boys teams this weekend in AAAAAA, but keep an eye on No. 7 Shiloh, which will be in Milwaukee on Saturday to play Minnetonka of Minnesota (11-1) in the Under Armour Brandon Jennings Invitational. Two pretty good games tonight (Friday) locally are Mill Creek (11-5, 4-4) at No. 8 Norcross (10-5, 6-1) and Campbell (11-6) at No. 6 Hillgrove (13-2).