With football now finished, it’s time to focus on basketball.
Unavoidably, we media types are somewhat late to the party But we’re glad to be indoors, where it’s warm.
Last week we caught up on the girls. Now let’s glance at the boys.
Again, we’ve yet to see a game, so we value input from those who’ve been keeping up on things since games began Nov. 10.
– Region 8-AA: Union County seems to be running away with things in this region with a 7-0 start. The Panthers entered last weekend having outscored opponents 60-35 approaching their region opener against Greene County on Jan. 4.
– Region 7-AA: Like Union County in 8-AA, Dade County is blazing trails in this region at 8-1 through last week. After a loss to Tennessee’s Howard Academy dropped the Wolverines to 2-1, they ripped off six straight wins, including a 110-63 clobbering of Marion County two weeks ago.
– Region 6-AA: Greater Atlanta Christian is off to a hot 7-0 start entering the Carrollton Tournament against Lithia Springs on Wednesday. The Spartans’ quick start is reminiscent of 2010, when they began 10-0 en route to winning the first of two consecutive state championships. Westminster (5-2) began this week on a three-game streak, entering a matchup with North Atlanta and its Westminster Holiday Classic between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
– Region 5-AA: With a win tonight against Central Talbotton, Manchester, runner-up to Laney last season, will enter the Albany Classic 5-0. Spencer (5-3) has rebounded from an 0-2 start by winning five of six, including Saturday’s 107-104 overtime win against Carver-Columbus.
– Region 4-AA: Northeast Macon is scheduled to put its 5-0 start on the line in the South Cobb Shootout on Friday and Saturday. Bleckley County (6-2) has had a good run so far as well, winning three straight before the Antebellum Classic in Milledgeville.
– Region 3-AA: Harlem, which hasn’t reached state in 10 seasons, entered last weekend 7-2 and having won five straight, including 69-58 over Greenbrier in overtime. Dublin is 4-1 approaching the Jones County Christmas Tournament, as is Josey rolling into the Houston County Bear Brawl.
– Region 2-AA: Vidalia could well be on its way to a second consecutive semifinal or beyond, thanks to its 7-0 start, including a 3-0 beginning in region. The Indians are scheduled to put that unbeaten streak on the line today at Toombs County and Friday at Montgomery County, before playing in the Brewton Parker Tournament.
– Region 1-AA: Nobody has really distinguished itself in the season’s early weeks. Derek Dixon and Devonta Wyche have Thomasville looking strong early on, scoring 15 and 11 points in early season wins over Thomas County Central and Bainbridge, respectively.