Poll Talk: Lassiter takes over at No. 1 in AAAAAA

Lassiter had played varsity football for 38 seasons before winning a region championship or finishing a regular season 10-0. Those achievements came in 2009.

Now, the Trojans have reached a new milestone. They are the No. 1-ranked team in Class AAAAAA.

Lassiter takes on the top spot after previous No. 1 Camden County lost to Colquitt County 13-12 last week. Lassiter completed its second-ever 10-0 regular season with a 34-6 victory over Etowah.

Lassiter and Norcross are the only 10-0 teams in the highest classification entering the state playoffs, which begin this week. Lassiter had never been ranked in the top 10 until 2009, so the rise to the top has been quick and recent.

New to the rankings this week are South Gwinnett for Parkview in AAAAAA, Stephenson for Thomas County Central in AAAAA, Carrollton for Carver-Atlanta and Monroe Area in AAAA, Callaway for North Hall in AAA, Screven County for Cook in AA and Aquinas and Walker for Prince Avenue Christian and Savannah Christian in A.

The next rankings will be published after the state championship games Dec. 14-15 at the Georgia Dome.

1. (2) Lassiter (10-0)
2. (3) Norcross (10-0)
3. (4) Grayson (9-1)
4. (5) North Gwinnett (9-1)
5. (1) Camden County (9-1)
6. (6) Lowndes (9-1)
7. (7) Lovejoy (9-1)
8. (8) West Forsyth (9-1)
9. (10) Colquitt County (7-3)
10. (NR) South Gwinnett (8-2)

1. (1) Northside-Warner Robins (10-0)
2. (2) M.L. King (10-0)
3. (3) East Paulding (10-0)
4. (6) Kell (9-1)
5. (7) Tucker (8-2)
6. (8) Ware County (9-1)
7. (9) Warner Robins (8-2)
8. (10) Flowery Branch (8-2)
9. (NR) Stephenson (7-2)
10. (5) Allatoona (9-1)

Class AAAA
1. (1) Sandy Creek (10-0)
2. (2) Marist (9-1)
3. (3) Burke County (9-1)
4. (5) Stockbridge (9-1)
5. (6) Griffin (9-1)
6. (7) Jonesboro (9-1)
7. (8) Cairo (8-2)
8. (10T) Westside-Macon (9-1)
9. (10T) Ridgeland (9-1)
10. (NR) Carrollton (7-3)

Class AAA
1. (1) Thomson (10-0)
2. (2) Carver-Columbus (9-1)
3. (3) Buford (7-3)
4. (4) Washington County (9-1)
5. (5) Peach County (9-1)
6. (6) Cartersville (10-0)
7. (7) St. Pius (8-2)
8. (8) North Oconee (9-1)
9. (10) Blessed Trinity (8-2)
10. Callaway (9-1)

Class AA
1. (1) Calhoun (10-0)
2. (2) Brooks County (10-0)
3. (3) Vidalia (10-0)
4. (4) Fitzgerald (8-2)
5. (6) Lamar County (9-0-1)
6. (8) Heard County (10-0)
7. (9) Jefferson (9-1)
8. (10) Lovett (6-4)
9. (5) Greater Atlanta Christian (7-3)
10. (NR) Screven County (9-1)

Class A
1. (1) Eagle’s Landing Christian (9-1)
2. (2) Emanuel County Institute (9-1)
3. (3) Athens Academy (10-0)
4. (5) Lincoln County (9-1)
5. (7) Wilcox County (8-2)
6. (9) Irwin County (7-3)
7. (10) Wilkinson County (7-3)
8. (8) Calvary Day (9-1)
9. (NR) Aquinas (8-2)
10. (NR) Walker (10-0)

257 comments Add your comment

Kick Some Grass

November 11th, 2012
3:02 pm

First and so is EAST!

Kick Some Grass

November 11th, 2012
3:04 pm

Rankings don’t mean anything from now on. We settle it on the field. Good luck to all the teams and may the best teams win.


November 11th, 2012
3:17 pm

Congratulations of regular season success Lassiter Trojans. Now is the time to go to work!

Good luck in the play offs.


November 11th, 2012
3:20 pm

Lassiter wont make it passed the 2nd round


November 11th, 2012
3:22 pm

I appreciate you saying we will make it to the 2nd round. We play one game at a time and respect all of our opponents. Good luck to your team. Please keep posting.

Trojan Fan

November 11th, 2012
3:38 pm

@Falconguy45 – Ironic you say that, since the Falcons hardly ever make it pass the 1st round, much less the 2nd round. lol


November 11th, 2012
3:59 pm

I’d have Norcross at 1, simply because they beat #4 and #10 – Lassiter has not been a ranked team listed in this top 10.

LTrojan Fan

November 11th, 2012
4:00 pm

@Falconguy45…Since you seem to be the know it all about which teams will win in the playoffs, let’s just declare your team the winner and we will just stay home. By the way…it is “past”…not “passed”. If you would have graduated from a good school like Lassiter, you would know how to spell correctly.

Norman Einstein

November 11th, 2012
4:10 pm

@Falconguy45 POWNED


November 11th, 2012
4:14 pm

Take a good look. This may be the last time we see our teams ranked for the year. Some will be in the final poll and some won’t. Upsets are coming.

HS football fan

November 11th, 2012
4:28 pm

Congrats on your regular season success Trojans! Now it’s time to do work! Prove you deserve to be here…


November 11th, 2012
4:48 pm

How many Tri-Cities fans this week?

Colquitt Fan

November 11th, 2012
4:49 pm

My goodness Colquitt has played an unreal schedule. Helps us to be prepared this time of year


November 11th, 2012
5:19 pm

Who was No.4 last week in 4A and what happened to them to drop out?

Not a Math Whiz

November 11th, 2012
5:20 pm

Was that supposed to say 28 seasons of football, since the school opened in ‘81?


November 11th, 2012
5:21 pm

Top four in 6A won’t make it to the elite 8


November 11th, 2012
5:24 pm



November 11th, 2012
5:52 pm

@ Whocares == That sounds about right, hopefully


November 11th, 2012
5:55 pm

Congrats, Lassiter! One game at a time is right.

(And LTrojan fan, if you want to get picky, it’s “If you had graduated,” not “If you would have graduated.”)

coach disco

November 11th, 2012
5:57 pm



November 11th, 2012
7:35 pm

Lassiter HS did not even exist 38 years ago – the school opened in 81.


November 11th, 2012
7:59 pm

Life is SO Lonely! Do you always find yourself troubled with the issues of Age Difference but is still feeling that strong urge of finding a Man or Woman that is Younger than you? Dating younger women is easy when you learn how to attract younger women and use your maturity to your advantage. Check out AgeGapMatch.com .This Is Where Things Start To Get Better, # 1 age gap dating site for 40 Plus Older Men seeking Younger Women. & . 40 Plus Mature women Dating Younger Men.Over 171,400 quality Members Seeking their Match.If you are ready for a new adventure, give them a try!

Swamp Lizard

November 11th, 2012
8:10 pm

@ Todd ….. I have to give you some love …. the Class A poll looks pretty good !! I’ve been pretty hard on you this year, but I appreciate your work …. thanks for all the coverage this year !!


November 11th, 2012
8:18 pm

Sportsnut The way I see it. North will beat Grayson with their passing Lassiter will lose to either brook wood or alp will beat Lassiter And norcross won’t make it past colquitt


November 11th, 2012
8:18 pm

Camden wins the SEC region of GA high school football and is ranked 5th. Well we will just have to see how well region 1 does against those high powered Atlanta teams.

HS football fan

November 11th, 2012
8:33 pm

I hate to write this, but I hope every region 1 team loses early…their fans are so annoying! Do they not remember that none of them were in the dome last year? There is a great chance of that happening again this year. Let the boys play & stop acting like arrogant idiots!


November 11th, 2012
8:48 pm

If you were a real HS football fan, you would know which region is the strongest from top to bottom. Review GA state championships over the past decade for a hint.


November 11th, 2012
8:49 pm

Lassiter will keep the top seat warm for at least 2 weeks.. Camden, Northside WR, Sandy Creek, Carver, Brooks and Eagle’s Landing Christian win it all.
Oh I forgot Lincoln wins the not quite ready to play with all the other kids football division. Look at all the gas money I saved everyone. Not to mention those ticket prices!

HS football fan

November 11th, 2012
9:01 pm

Hey Jimmy…I’m not going to argue about which region is strongest. However, I will give you a simple math lesson. It’s so simple that even a guy from south ga might understand. There are 32 teams in the 6a playoffs & 4 of them are from region 1. What are the chances of one of those 4 teams win it all? Simply divide 4 by 32 and you will get the percentage chance…I’ll help you on this first one: there is a 12.5% chance one of the region 1 teams win it all. Therefore, there is an 87.5% chance they won’t. Good luck!


November 11th, 2012
9:08 pm

Wow, they sure have defied the averages over the past decade.. All luck, I’m sure…Lol


November 11th, 2012
9:14 pm

HS football fan by that simple math logic you just posted, that means if Alabama, thUGA, LSU, and Florida were in the Georgia High School 6A playoffs this year then each would only have a 12.5% chance of winning the state championship and 87.5 % chance of not winning. Okay, if you say so.


November 11th, 2012
9:24 pm

Camden and Lowndes have won 6 of the last 9 state championships in what was formerly AAAAA that is 66.6666% I would be willing to bet there is a better than 25% chance one of the region 1-AAAAAA teams is in the finals. Colquitt is the #4 team out of that region. There is not another #4 team in any region that can compete with them. I guarantee you McEachern is saying “great we win our region and have to face Colquitt in the first round, well at least we have them at home.”

HS football fan

November 11th, 2012
9:27 pm

You actually only get credit for 3 championships in the last decade. You guys made fun of Camden until they joined you this year, so you do not get to claim those. So, let’s split the difference & I’ll spot you a bit & give you guys a 20% or so chance, based on the last decade’s record. All I’m saying is no one has won yet, so quit bragging about something yet to be accomplished.

The Cross

November 11th, 2012
9:30 pm

OhWhoCares-If Norcross were to face Colquitt it would be in the semis???

HS football fan

November 11th, 2012
9:31 pm

Furthermore, based on your logic…Lowndes is a lock to win & none of the others in the region stand a chance just like all the other teams in Ga.

Columbia Blue

November 11th, 2012
9:32 pm

Congratulations Lassiter, now the pressure is on you. The Camden Wildcats have several things going for them.

1. They are very good on both sides of the ball.
2. They have great coaching.
3. There is no way in the world the Wildcats can get worse officiating in the play-offs compared to the officiating they got in Moultrie. The officiating in Moultrie was the worst I have ever seen in my life.
4. They have a great deal of play-off experience.
5. They are mad as heck and determined to win the next five games.



November 11th, 2012
9:36 pm

@ Whocares == I am not sure about who will survive. I do, however expect one of the region 1 teams to go down in the first round. If any of region 4 teams bring it on defense, they have a shot. Neither of the region 1 teams are built to play catch-up.


November 11th, 2012
9:43 pm

I’m not a Camden fan, I live in fla and follow Ga high school football and travel the state and watch big games when I can. There is no other region in the country like 1-AAAAAA. The ESPN announcer out of Orlando that travels the whole U.S. broadcasting H.S. games even said so. I know there are teams in other regions year in and year out that can also play with anyone but not on a consistent basis. I just looked at the other regions #3 & #4 records and none of the #1 seeds are fearing playing the #1 seed with the exception of McEachern. Coffee finished #5 in region 1-AAAAAA and they probably could beat several of the #2 seeds from some regions.


November 11th, 2012
9:44 pm

Excuse me playing the #4 seed

Columbia Blue

November 11th, 2012
9:46 pm

@ sportsnut

I certainly do not think a region 1 AAAAAA team will go down in the first round of the play-offs. All four teams are very good.


November 11th, 2012
10:02 pm

@ Columbia Blue == They are good but they will face some quality teams. When this is the case, Any Given Friday comes into play. As I stated before, if a passing team gets up on them early, it will be hard for the running team to get back in it especially if the have no Db’s. Region 4 teams can score and score quickly. We will see what transpires. Region 1 plays run D very well. I don’t think they have faced enough real passing teams to be proficient at pass defense Just my opinion.

Columbia Blue

November 11th, 2012
10:30 pm

@ sportsnut

Region 1 AAAAAA has teams that are very well balanced on offense. I do agree with one thing, any team can loose on any given Friday night. I think Camdens loss to Colquitt will certainly have them ready for the play-offs. Camden certainly respects all the teams in the play-offs. As far as we are concerned Hillgrove is the best team in the nation. We will be very well prepared.


November 11th, 2012
10:30 pm

sportsnut LOL

I have no idea where you get this no pass defense can’t come from behind drum beat for Region 1 you keep beating. Did you see the Camden/Colquit game replay? Have you seen Brunswick, Coffee, Valdosta play? Did you know Lowndes was behind to Valdosta at one point? Lowndes was also behind to Colquit at half time. Camden was behind to Lowndes albeit shortly.

So tell me. Just exactly who has Lovejoy played that is so awesome in running or passing. Especially passing since you think you have the upper hand in that area? Hmmm?


November 11th, 2012
10:31 pm

Release the CATS! :-D


November 11th, 2012
10:39 pm

Lowndes and Camden will roll through the 1st round. Valdosta will likely win and continue forward. They are just starting to peak. Colquitt vs Mceachern will be a good game! Worst case scenario, Region 1 will be in good shape. The GHSA deciding to create a 6A class really helped the Atlanta schools with their percentage chances to win championships (like that wasn’t planned).

East Cobb Dad

November 11th, 2012
11:12 pm

Couldn’t be more proud of the Lassiter Trojans. Congratulations to Coach Irwin, his staff and the kids. The best part of this undefeated season and winning Region 5 is being a 1 seed and playing at home. Can’t wait to go the games with my family, and cheer for our team with friends and neighbors. Good luck everyone, and GO TROJANS!


November 11th, 2012
11:25 pm

Congrats Trojans on your Region Championship and good luck to you this coming Friday!


November 11th, 2012
11:26 pm

Sandy Creek would beat any team in the state, ANY… from AMY level…yeah, just try to debate and you would lose.


November 11th, 2012
11:37 pm

Darryl……stay off the blog from now on please…….need i remind you who won the title last year in your classification…….BURKE COUNTY…….who did they lose to who was 5aaaaa last year now 6aaaaaa? You guessed it right…LOWNDES…..31-21 and lowndes had a down year last year finishing a dissapointing 8-4………sandy creek? give me a break…they couldnt beat themselves out of a wet paper sack


November 11th, 2012
11:42 pm

lassiter would lose to at least 4 or 5 teams in the top 10 in my opinion…….they will simply have to prove to me they are good… a lot of their wins have not been all that impressive…..21-9 over walton who has no defense…..38-23 over wheeler (watch what grayson does to wheeler)……28-14 over roswell who is bad…..and beat hillgrove by 8…..camden will beat hillgrove by 30….thisisnt hillgrove from 2010…..drake is gone. lassiter will be out after rd 2 would be a safe bet