Union Grove 34, Drew 33

The Wolverines, after being shell-shocked during an explosive first half, roared back with 22 unanswered points to pick up a huge win in their quest for the postseason.

The Titans got off to a quick start and built a 21-3 lead in the first quarter. They capped off the game’s opening drive with a 15-yard touchdown pass from Jay Murray to Maurice Cash, followed by a two-point conversion.

Murray hit Kwamie Jackson for a 20-yard score on Drew’s next possession, and Union Grove got on the board with a Shawn Davis 29-yard field goal. Two plays later, Marquis Terry took the pitch on a sweep and raced around the left side for a 60-yard touchdown with 37 seconds left in the opening period.

The Wolverines got into the end zone for the first time midway through the second quarter on a 12-yard touchdown run by Luke Parker. Jonathan Slade connected with Terry Gibbs for the two-point conversion.

The Titans picked up two scores on special teams late in the second quarter. A Drew defender hit the Union Grove punter just as he kicked the ball, causing it to dribble away into the path of Jordan Bennett, who scooped it up and ran 20 yards for a touchdown. The next possession forced a Union Grove punt that Terry returned 65 yards to the end zone. After a 26-yard field goal by Davis, the Titans had a 33-14 halftime lead.

The Wolverines came out on fire after intermission, as Slade found Caleb Ham open down the left sideline for a 65-yard scoring strike. The Titans drove into Union Grove territory on the ensuing drive but the Wolverines recovered a fumble on their own 21. They only needed one play, a designed pass-and-lateral that resulted in Derrick Craine running 79 yards down the right sideline, to cut the lead to six.

The Wolverines took their first lead of the night with 8:50 to go in the fourth quarter when Craine burst up the middle for an 82-yard scoring sun. The Titans drove into Union Grove territory but were stopped when Tyler Vaughn picked up a sack on fourth-and-9 to give his team the ball. The Drew defense stiffened but a roughing-the-kicker penalty allowed the Wolverines to maintain possession and run out the clock.

One comment Add your comment


November 3rd, 2012
12:35 am

If you needed a game of the week this was it. The Drew players had been harassing the Union Grove players, fans, and community with classless posts on Facebook throughout the week and it seemed they were right to do so during the first half. But the boys from the Grove rallied from behind and played light’s out defense in the second half to remind the Drew boys to not let their mouths write a check their behinds couldn’t cash. The score doesn’t tell the tale. UG dominated the second half of this game. That’s why there’s 4 quarters in a football game and not 2.