Five Class AAAAAA teams can clinch region titles Friday. Here are some the things to watch for this weekend in the highest class:
- No. 1 Camden County (8-0, 4-0) plays at No. 4 Lowndes (9-0, 5-0) in a game televised by ESPNU. This is the first time that these state powers have been in the same region. They’ve played in the playoffs four times since 2003, and the winner of their game has gone on to win the state title. Camden has been criticized for its easy region. Camden is 86-0 in region play since 2000, which until this year was old, weak Region 3-AAAAA. Region 1 fans have felt Camden got an easier draw in the state playoffs that greased the way to three state championships. With a chip on its shoulder, Camden has won its four Region 1 games by an average score of 43-7. But now Camden travels to Lowndes and No. 10 Colquitt County to finish the regular season.
- Perhaps a more life-or-death game in Region 1 is the one between Coffee and Colquitt County in Moultrie. Both are 5-3 overall, 2-2 in the region. The loser, especially if it is Colquitt, could be out of the playoff picture.
- Hughes (7-1, 3-0) can clinch Region 3 with a victory over Tri-Cities (3-5, 1-2). Hughes, a 4-year-old school, has never won a region.
- McEachern (6-2, 6-0) can clinch Region 4 with a victory over Harrison (4-4, 3-3). It would be McEachern’s third region title in four seasons. Note that the Region 4 champion will play Region 1’s fourth-place team (probably Colquitt County or Coffee) in the first round.
- Lassiter (8-0, 5-0) can clinch Region 5 with a victory over Roswell (2-6, 1-4). It would be Lassiter’s second title in history. The other came in 2009. The Region 5 champion will get a fourth-place Region 8 team in the first round. (See below.)
- The best metro Atlanta game will be South Gwinnett at Brookwood in Region 8. Both are 6-2 overall, 5-1 in the region. Although they are part of a four-way tie in Region 8 with Grayson (7-1, 5-1) and Parkview (6-2, 5-1), neither is likely to win the region. But the loser is almost certainly to be on the road in the first round of the playoffs. Parkview is the one that controls its destiny. Victories over Berkmar and South Gwinnett would give the Panthers the title. Brookwood could win the region by beating South Gwinnett and Grayson if Parkview loses one of its remaining games.
Projected region champions –
1 – Camden/Lowndes winner
2 – Lovejoy (clinched)
3 – Hughes
4 – McEachern
5 – West Forsyth (must win final two games)
6 – Lassiter
7 – Norcross (clinched)
8 – Parkview ( must win final two games)