One of the things we love doing down at The List HQ is reading all the stories coming in from around the area as they come in Friday nights.
We can only be at one stadium per night (until this whole cloning thing gets big), so it’s fun to see what happened everywhere we couldn’t be.
Of course, what we often see is the same thing you see at other levels of football – cliché quotes from coaches and players.
Now, we don’t really blame them, but we know that’s usually not what they’re actually thinking. They’d love to say what’s really on their minds, but we stick a notebook in their face, and they can become Bill Belichick on us.
So, what are they actually thinking? We think we know. Here are the top 10 quotes you’ll never read on a Friday night after the games.
10. “That pass I dropped? Yeah, the quarterback throws a really lousy spiral.”
9. “I just want to make sure you noticed my offensive line didn’t block worth a lick on that touchdown run I had in the third quarter.”
8. “I don’t know. This game really isn’t for me. My real dream is to go into competitive eating.”
7. “We’re the state champs! Wait, there are six classifications? So, how many state champs are there? Seven? Forget this. I quit.”
6. “To be honest with you, we knew we were going to win this game as soon as the schedule came out. We basically could have named our score tonight. The other coaching staff does a terrible job.”
5. “Everybody knows I should be starting. Coach only starts Steve because he’s a senior. Yeah, I said it. Go ahead and print that. I mean it.”
4. “Oh, of course I didn’t catch that ball. Are you kidding? I have no idea what the ref was thinking on that call. Heck, I told him I trapped it, but he disagreed. What are ya gonna do?”
3. “As the coach of this team, I get full credit for that winning touchdown drive. The players never could have executed that without me.”
2. “I’d like to call out the fans for not being remotely loud or supportive enough tonight. It really depressed the entire team.”
1. “Let’s be real. Everybody knows the best teams are all in South Georgia.”
But, as always, we want to hear from you. What are the quotes you want to hear from players and coaches after a game? What are you tired of hearing them say? Are the best teams really in South Georgia? Let us know in the comments here or on Twitter at @ajcprepsports.