The highly anticipated Game 10 showdown in two weeks between Lovett and Greater Atlanta Christian came into sharper focus Friday with both state-ranked teams remaining perfect in Region 6-AA at 2-0. The Lions (4-4) edged Wesleyan 24-21, while the Spartans (6-2) turned back Hapeville Charter 38-20.
Here are things Friday showed us about those squads, as well as others in AA:
– Lovett is resilient: The Lions overcame a 21-10 third-quarter deficit and didn’t lead until Grant Haley’s 1-yard run with 29 seconds left. Haley stole the show with three scores, his others being a 75-yard run and 96-yard kickoff return.
– Scales, Chapple continue to spark GAC: Kyle Scales’ two scores and 123 yards rushing and Rafe Chapple’s two TDs and 166 passing helped the Spartans jump to an insurmountable 24-6 lead at halftime.
– Ben Davenport has Pepperell on a roll: His 182 yards and two TDs rushing pushed the Dragons past Chattooga 28-21 and closer to the second playoff spot in 7-AA, behind Calhoun, according to the Rome News-Tribune.
– Bryant Shirreffs’ aerial assault continues: The Athens Banner-Herald reported the Jefferson quarterback’s 190 yards and two TDs passing stretched No. 9 Jefferson’s win streak to seven games, as the Dragons beat winless Social Circle 47-10.
– Brooks County’s still on a roll: The No. 2 Trojans upped themselves to 8-0 and clinched their first Region 1-AA championship in four years by beating No. 5 Cook 35-21. Brooks led Cook 21-14 at halftime and never trailed, the Valdosta Times reported.
– Eagles can’t get off the mat: After beating Social Circle in Game 7 for their first win, Riverside Military lost to Glascock County 22-13 in Region 8-AA. The Eagles have won only once in their last 12 games.
– There might be no stopping Calhoun: The little-challenged Yellow Jackets appear destined to contend for a second consecutive state championship after drubbing Armuchee 53-0. Now with three shutouts in four games, top-ranked Calhoun further impressed with 507 total yards, including Taylor Lamb’s 295 passing, the News-Tribune reported.