Donquell Green, Burke County’s junior quarterback, moved up a couple of spots in the GHSF Daily/Atlanta Journal-Constitution Player of the Year Watch after rushing for 241 yards and four touchdowns in his game last week.
Walton running back Tyren Jones continues to hold the lead, although he failed to score a touchdown for the first time this season in his team’s loss to Lassiter.
New to the POY Watch is Aquinas RB/LB Brendan Douglas, who tries to make history this week when Aquinas tries to stop a 31-game losing streak to Lincoln County.
1. RB Tyren Jones, Walton: Jones rushed for 193 yards on 32 carries in a 21-9 loss to Lassiter. He was held without a touchdown for only the second time in his 21 games at Walton. The other was the 2011 state final against Grayson. Jones, who has committed to Alabama, has rushed for 1,313 yards and 13 touchdowns on 196 carries (6.7 ypc) on the season. At his current pace, Jones would need 13 games to break the state record for rushing yards in a season in the highest classification held by Parkview’s Caleb King, who ran for 2,768 in 2005. Walton is 4-2 and unranked in Class AAAAAA.
2. QB Deshaun Watson, Gainesville: Watson had a hand in six touchdowns in a 42-23 victory over Cedar Shoals. He rushed for 118 yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries and was 20-of-28 passing for 234 yards and three touchdowns. For the season, Watson is 112-of-156 passing (71.8 percent) for 1,657 yards and 20 touchdowns with seven interceptions. He has rushed for 521 yards and 10 touchdowns on 86 carries (6.1 ypc). Watson, a junior, has committed to Clemson. Gainesville is 5-1 and ranked No. 7 in Class AAAAA.
3. QB Eddie Printz, Lassiter: Printz was 16-of-30 passing for 196 yards in a 21-9 victory over Walton. On the season, Printz is 106-of-167 passing (63.5 percent) for 1,442 yards, 13 touchdowns and four interceptions. Lassiter is 6-0 and ranked No. 2 in Class AAAAAA.
4. QB Taylor Lamb, Calhoun: Did not play last week. For the season, Lamb is 123-of-180 passing (68.3 percent) for 1,478 yards and 14 touchdowns with three interceptions. He has rushed for 94 yards and five touchdowns on 27 carries. Calhoun is 5-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class AA.
5. QB A.J. Erdely, West Forsyth: Did not play last week. On the season, Erdely is 62-of-95 passing (65.3 percent) for 935 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions. He has rushed for 408 yards and five touchdowns on 50 carries (7.8 ypc). He is committed to Middle Tennessee. West Forsyth is 5-0 and ranked No. 5 in Class AAAAAA.
6. QB Donquell Green, Burke County: Green scored four touchdowns, rushed for 241 yards and passed for 146 in a 50-21 victory over Wayne County. For the season, Green has rushed for 957 yards and 17 touchdowns on 100 carries (9.6 ypc) and completed 41 of 56 passes (73.2 percent) for 636 yards and four touchdowns with one interception. Burke County is 5-1 and ranked No. 3 in Class AAAA.
7. RB Nick Chubb, Cedartown: Chubb, a junior, rushed for 244 yards and four touchdowns on 38 carries in a 35-27 loss to River Ridge. He had a 70-yard TD run called back for holding. He also had two receptions for 60 yards. For the season, Chubb leads the state in rushing with 1,660 yards on 196 carries (8.5 ypc). He has scored 25 touchdowns. Chubb is on pace to break the state record for rushing yards in a season, held by Daccus Turman of Washington-Wilkes (3,172), in the 12th game. Cedartown is 4-2 and unranked in Class AAAA.
8. HB/DB J.J. Green, Camden County: Green rushed for 98 yards and a touchdown on seven carries and returned an interception 40 yards for a touchdown in a 39-12 victory over Coffee. On the season, Green has rushed for 376 yards and five touchdowns on 36 carries (10.4 ypc) and caught four passes for 54 yards and one touchdown. He has returned four kickoffs for 163 yards (40.8 ypr) and one touchdown. He has scored eight touchdowns overall. He has three interceptions. Camden County is 5-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class AAAAAA.
9. QB Malcolm Parrish, Brooks County: Parrish threw four TD passes for the second consecutive game in a 28-10 victory over Thomasville. For the season, Brooks is 89-of-169 passing for 1,430 yards and 16 touchdowns. He has rushed for more than 400 yards and seven touchdowns. Brooks County is 6-0 and ranked No. 2 in Class AA.
10. RB/LB Brendan Douglas, Aquinas: Douglas rushed for 142 yards and three touchdowns on 24 carries in a 31-6 victory over Hancock Central. A two-way starter, Douglas has rushed for 798 yards and 15 touchdowns on 101 carries (7.9 ypg) and caught six pases for 94 yards and one touchdown. He has accounted for 57 percent of Aquinas’ total offense. He has made 72 tackles, three for losses, and recovered three fumbles. Aquinas is 5-0 and ranked No. 2 in Class A.
Story produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.