A.J. Erdely, the West Forsyth quarterback whose team is averaging 44 points per game during a 4-0 start, is moving up quickly in the GHSF Daily/Atlanta Journal-Constitution Player of the Year Watch. He stands No. 4 after his team’s 63-42 victory over Alpharetta. Erdely’s 51-yard pooch punt in the final minutes of the game ended a streak of 19 consecutive possessions in which West Forsyth had scored.
Tyren Jones of Walton continues to lead the list despite a recent wrist injury that required that he play with a cast last week.
Joining the POY Watch this week are Robert Nkemdiche of Grayson (who went missing from the list for one week) and Carl Lawson of Milton. They are ranked 1-2 nationally as defensive end prospects by many.
Dropping out for now are Brooks County QB Malcolm Parrish and Peach County WR Demarcus Robinson.
1. RB Tyren Jones, Walton: Jones played with a cast, reportedly because of a fracture in his left wrist, but rushed for 129 yards and one touchdown on 27 carries in a 24-7 victory over Woodstock. Jones, who has committed to Alabama, has rushed for 936 yards and 11 touchdowns on 138 carries (6.8 ypc) on the season. Walton is 3-1 and unranked in Class AAAAAA.
2. QB Eddie Printz, Lassiter: Printz was 21-of-30 passing for 270 yards and two touchdowns and ran for a touchdown in a 41-6 victory over Cherokee. Printz played for only one drive in the second half. On the season, Printz is 68-of-94 passing (72.3 percent) for 1,101 yards, 12 touchdowns and two interceptions. Printz has 6,893 yards passing in his career. The state record is 9,062. If Lassiter plays 14 games, as it did in 2011, Printz would break the record by averaging 207 yards per game going forward. Lassiter is 4-0 and ranked No. 2 in Class AAAAAA.
3. QB Taylor Lamb, Calhoun: Lamb was 17-of-25 passing for 262 yards and three touchdowns, all in the first half, of a 50-14 victory over Dade County. For the season, Lamb is 105-of-158 passing (66.6 percent) for 1,252 yards and 11 touchdowns with three interceptions. He has rushed for 105 yards on 24 carries and five touchdowns. Calhoun is 4-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class AA.
4. QB A.J. Erdely, West Forsyth: Erdely rushed for 189 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries and was 9-of-16 passing for 159 yards in a 63-42 victory over Alpharetta. On the season, Erdely is 48-of-72 passing (66.7 percent) for 668 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions. He has rushed for 390 yards and four touchdowns on 50 carries (7.8 ypc). He is committed to Middle Tennessee. West Forsyth is 4-0 and ranked No. 5 in Class AAAAAA.
5. QB Deshaun Watson, Gainesville: Watson was 18-of-21 passing for 301 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 75 yards and two touchdowns in a 62-20 victory over Apalachee. For the season, Watson is 78-of-108 passing (72.2 percent) for 1,155 yards and 14 touchdowns with seven interceptions. He has rushed for 290 yards and five touchdowns on 51 carries. Watson, a junior, has committed to Clemson. Gainesville is 3-1 and ranked No. 7 in Class AAAAA.
6. QB Donquell Green, Burke County: Green rushed for 245 yards and three touchdowns on 27 carries and was 6-of-11 passing for 97 yards in a 35-14 victory over Statesboro in a game between Top 10 teams. For the season, Green has rushed for 643 yards and 10 touchdowns on 74 carries (8.7 ypc) and completed 26 of 37 passes (70.3 percent) for 368 yards and three touchdowns. He has not thrown an interception. Burke County is 3-1 and ranked No. 4 in Class AAAA.
7. DE Carl Lawson, Milton: Lawson had four sacks and 11 tackles in a 45-31 victory over Roswell. Lawson, an Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super 11 pick and one of the top five defensive end prospects in the country, has 10 sacks in four games. Milton is 3-1 and unranked in Class AAAAAA.
8. RB Nick Chubb, Cedartown: Chubb, a junior, rushed for 116 yards and one touchdown on 26 carries in a 42-21 loss to Ridgeland. For the season, he leads the state in rushing with 1,064 yards and 13 touchdowns on 117 carries (9.1 ypc). Cedartown is 3-1 and unranked in Class AAAA.
9. Robert Nkemdiche, Grayson: Nkemdiche had three tackles for losses, three QB pressures and a sack in a 45-7 victory over Dacula. For the season, Nkemdiche has 18 tackles, five for losses, and has rushed for 71 yards and four touchdowns on 18 carries. He is the consensus No. 1 recruit in the country and committed to Clemson. Grayson is 3-1 and unranked in Class AAAAAA.
10. HB/DB J.J. Green, Camden County: Green’s team did not play last week. On the season, Green has rushed for 228 yards and three touchdowns on 21 carries (10.9 ypc) and caught four passes for 54 yards and one touchdown. He has scored four touchdowns overall. He has five tackles and has not allowed a reception in one-on-one coverage. Camden County is 4-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class AAAAAA.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.