S. Thomas Coleman
For the AJC
Here’s a look at how our Top 5’s fared in Week 5. There’s sure to be a shake up in the rankings on Sunday as three Top 10 public schools went down.
(Note: Charlton County lost to the No. 7 team in AA, Fitzgerald, so it would be tough to penalize them for that.)
1. Wilcox County (2-1, No. 2 overall). Off this week. Next: Friday at No. 9 Charlton County (2-2).
2. Wilkinson County (1-2, No. 4 overall). The Warriors lost 41-34 to Irwin County (2-2). Next: Friday at Georgia Military (3-0).
3. Marion County (2-1, No. 7 overall). The Eagles lost to Miller County (3-1), 20-7. Rod Williams (8 yards) and Jacolby Jones (25 yards) had rushing touchdowns for Miller County, and Marvin Grant scored on a 40-yard pass from Algin Merritt. The Pirates’ defense held Marion to 112 yards total offense. Next: Friday vs. Greenville (2-1).
4. Lincoln County (2-1, No. 8 overall). Off this week. Next: Friday at First Presbyterian Day (2-1).
5. Charlton County (2-2, No. 9 overall). The Indians lost to Fitzgerald (3-1), No. 7 in AA, 37-0. Next: Friday vs. Wilcox County.
Look for Commerce (4-0), an 18-17 winner over AA Rabun County, to jump into the Top 10, along with Miller County and Emanuel County Institute (3-1), a 14-7 winner over Claxton.
1. ELCA (3-1, No. 1 overall). Off this week. Next: Saturday at Holy Innocents (2-2).
2. Prince Avenue Christian (4-0, No. 3 overall). The Wolverines beat Glascock County (1-3), 41-7, as quarterback Zach Graham hit on 6-of-8 passes for 132 yards and two touchdowns, while Bryce Huff ran for 90 yards on 5 carries, two for touchdowns. PAC piled up 441 yards of offense and held Glascock to just 135. Next: Friday at Athens Christian (1-3).
3. Aquinas (3-0, No. 5 overall). The Irish beat AA Josey (1-3), 42-0. Next: Friday vs. Twiggs County (1-2).
4. Calvary Day (4-0, No. 6 overall). The Cavaliers beat Treutlen (1-2), 27-18, as senior quarterback Jake Clemens ran for 175 yards, 121 in the second half, on 17 carries, including an 11-yard touchdown. The Caves led the Pirates just 14-12 at halftime. Next: Oct. 5 at Savannah Country Day (1-2).
5. George Walton Academy (3-1, unranked). The Bulldogs beat Warren County (1-2), 37-0, as Nick Waters had an interception and two touchdowns – on rushing (7 yards) and one receiving (35 yards). Next: Friday vs. Commerce (4-0).
Athens Academy (3-0), a 10-7 winner over Our Lady of Mercy (3-1), could crack the Top 10 this week.