Tyren Jones’ lead in GHSF Daily’s Player of the Year Watch dwindled when his Walton team was routed 49-17 by North Cobb last week, but the Alabama commitment held on ahead of rising quarterbacks Eddie Printz of Lassiter and Taylor Lamb of Calhoun.
Entering the list this week were Deshaun Watson of Gainesville, A.J. Erdely of West Forsyth and Donquell Green of Burke County.
Out are Grayson’s Robert Nkemdiche and Dooly County’s Montravius Adams, whose teams lost last week, and Wilcox County QB Makail Grace.
Strong consideration was given this week to Marist QB Myles Willis, Thomas County Central QB Adam Choice, Thomson RB Chris Jordan, Stephens County RB Chaz Thornton and others.
1. RB Tyren Jones, Walton: Jones rushed for 172 yards and one touchdown on 34 carries in a 49-17 loss to North Cobb. Jones, who has committed to Alabama, is second in the state in rushing with 807 yards and 10 touchdowns in three games. Walton is 2-1 and unranked in Class AAAAAA.
2. QB Eddie Printz, Lassiter: Printz was 13-of-16 passing for 305 yards and four touchdowns in a 42-13 victory over Kell. He did not attempt a pass in the second half. On the season, Printz is 47-of-64 passing (73.4 percent) for 831 yards, 10 touchdowns and two interceptions. Printz has 6,623 yards passing in his career. The state record is 9,062. If Lassiter plays 14 games, as it did in 2011, Printz would break the record by averaging 222 yards per game going forward. Lassiter is 3-0 and ranked No. 2 in Class AAAAAA.
3. QB Taylor Lamb, Calhoun: Lamb was 38-of-55 passing for 465 yards and four touchdowns with one interception in a 46-35 victory over Carrollton, a ranked team in Class AAAA. He also scored two touchdowns. For the season, Lamb is 88-of-135 passing (65.2 percent) for 990 yards and eight touchdowns. He has rushed for 100 yards on 22 carries. Calhoun is 3-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class AA.
4. RB Nick Chubb, Cedartown: Chubb, a junior, rushed for 182 yards and four touchdowns on 25 carries and didn’t play in the fourth quarter of a 35-0 victory over LaFayette. For the season, he has 938 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns on 91 carries (10.2 ypc). Chubb leads the state in rushing. Cedartown is 3-0 and unranked in Class AAAA.
5. WR Demarcus Robinson, Peach County: Robinson had six receptions for 153 yards and a touchdown in a 29-24 victory over Warner Robins. Robinson, who is committed to Clemson, has 15 catches for 366 yards in three games. He has scored five touchdowns, including one on an interception return. Peach County is ranked No. 1 in Class AAA.
6. QB Deshaun Watson, Gainesville: Watson threw seven touchdown passes and was 18-of-18 for 350 yards in a 69-0 victory over Winder-Barrow. For the season, Watson is 62-of-89 passing (70.0 percent) for 866 yards and 12 touchdowns with seven interceptions. He has rushed for 215 yards and three touchdowns on 42 carries. Watson, a junior, has committed to Clemson. Gainesville is 2-1 and ranked No. 7 in Class AAAAA.
7. QB A.J. Erdely, West Forsyth: Erdely was 13-of-15 passing for 200 yards and four touchdowns in a 63-14 victory over Starr’s Mill. He also rushed for 41 yards on five carries. On the season, Erdely is 39-of-56 passing (69.6 percent) for 509 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions. He has rushed for 201 yards and three touchdowns on 35 carries. He is committed to Middle Tennessee. West Forsyth is 3-0 and ranked No. 5 in Class AAAAAA.
8. QB Malcolm Parrish, Brooks County: Did not play last week. For the season, Parrish, a junior, is 49-of-94 for 673 yards and six touchdowns. He has rushed for 241 yards and four touchdowns on 45 carries. Brooks County is 3-0 and ranked No. 2 in Class AA.
9. HB/DB J.J. Green, Camden County: Green rushed for 47 yards and two touchdowns on six carries and broke up a pass in a 48-12 victory over Beach. On the season, Green has rushed for 228 yards and three touchdowns on 21 carries (10.9 ypc) and caught four passes for 54 yards and one touchdown. He has scored four touchdowns overall. He has five tackles and has not allowed a reception in one-on-one coverage. Camden County is 4-0 and ranked No. 1 in Class AAAAAA.
10. QB Donquell Green, Burke County: Green rushed for 214 yards and three touchdowns on 27 attempts and completed five of eight passes for 113 yards and two touchdowns in a 33-21 victory over Coffee. For the season, Green has rushed for 390 yards and seven touchdowns on 46 carries (7.8 ypc) and completed 24 of 43 passes (55.8 percent) for 308 yards and three touchdowns. He has not thrown an interception. Burke County is 2-1 and ranked No. 5 in Class AAAA.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.