Walton running back Tyren Jones used a 300-yard rushing performance to jump to the top of the GHSF Daily/Atlanta Journal-Constitution Player of the Year Watch. The senior matched his career high of five touchdowns.
New to the POY Watch this week are junior quarterbacks Deshaun Watson of Gainesville and Malcolm Parrish of Brooks County. Out are Cedar Grove quarterback Johnathon McCrary and Eagle’s Landing Christian running back and linebacker Keyante Green.
Expect more movement next Wednesday as most of our top 10 players are playing their season openers this week.
1. RB Tyren Jones, Walton: Jones rushed for 303 yards and five touchdowns on 30 carries in a 35-24 victory against Brookwood. Jones, who has committed to Alabama, led the state with 2,375 yards rushing last season. Walton is ranked No. 3 in Class AAAAAA.
2. DL Robert Nkemdiche, Grayson: Nkemdiche rushed for 51 yards on seven carries, scored a touchdown and had four tackles in a 31-12 victory over McEachern. Nkemdiche, who is committed to Clemson, was the all-classification player of the year in 2011 when he scored 18 touchdowns and had 17 sacks for a state championship team. Grayson is ranked No. 1 in Class AAAAAA.
3. HB/DB J.J. Green, Camden County: Green rushed for 88 yards on eight carries, caught three passes for 38 yards, scored a touchdown, forced a fumble and made two tackles in a 42-0 victory over Peachtree Ridge. Camden County is ranked No. 2 in AAAAAA.
4. QB Eddie Printz, Lassiter: Printz’s first game is Friday against Hillgrove. Printz passed for 3,350 yards in 2011 for a team that reached the state semifinals. He is committed to UCLA. Lassiter is ranked No. 4 in Class AAAAAA.
5. QB Taylor Lamb, Calhoun: Lamb’s first game is Friday against Ridgeland. A South Alabama recruit, Lamb led the state with 3,638 yards passing for the Class AA championship team in 2011. Calhoun is ranked No. 1 in Class AA.
6. WR Demarcus Robinson, Peach County: Robinson’s first game is Friday at Perry. Robinson, committed to Clemson, had 1,027 yards receiving in 2011 for a team that reached the state finals. Peach County is ranked No. 1 in Class AAA.
7. QB Joshua Dobbs, Alpharetta: Dobbs’ first game is Friday against Milton. Dobbs threw for 3,113 yards last season for a team that won its region. Alpharetta is ranked No. 9 in Class AAAAAA.
8. DL Montravius Adams, Dooly County: Adams’ first game is Friday at Macon County. The consensus No. 2 recruit in Georgia and the nation’s No. 1 defensive tackle, Adams had more than 20 sacks and 40 tackles for losses in 2011.
9. QB Deshaun Watson, Gainesville: Watson’s first game is Thursday against West Forsyth. In 2011, Watson, a junior and a three-year starter, was 230-of-379 passing for 3,251 yards and 41 touchdowns for a team that reached the state semifinals. He also rushed for 1,073 yards. Gainesville is ranked No. 8 in Class AAAAA.
10. QB Malcolm Parrish, Brooks County: Parrish, a junior and a three-year starter, was 15-of-22 passing for 198 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 150 yards and two scores in a 43-3 victory over Clinch County. Parrish played only 2.5 quarters. Parrish passed for 1,504 yards and rushed for 1,056 yards last season. Brooks County is ranked No. 3 in AA.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.