AA blog: Subregion winners aim for titles
North Oconee and Fitzgerald impressively sewed up their region championships Friday.
No. 10-ranked North Oconee improved its record to 9-0 with a 17-6 victory at No. 7 Elbert County to win the Region 8-AA South title. North Oconee will play Banks County, the North subregion champion, next Friday to determine the region title and No. 1 seed for the playoffs. It’s the first undefeated season for North Oconee, which began playing football in 2004. and improved coach Terry Tuley’s record at the school to 51-13 in six seasons. The veteran coach won his 100th career game earlier this season.
No. 5 Fitzgerald completed a 9-1 regular season with a decisive 39-0 victory at No. 6 Brooks County. That clinched the Region 1-AA title for the Purple Hurricanes, who earn the right to host a first-round state playoff game.
Other news of note:
- Region 2-AA unbeatens to meet: No. 9 Appling County set up a showdown for the league title by blanking Vidalia 19-0. The Pirates will play at Pierce County, which stopped McIntosh County Academy 28-7. Apppling and Pierce are unbeaten in the region.
- Jefferson County rules Dublin again: The biggest upset of the night came in Louisville, where Jefferson County knocked off No. 8 Dublin 26-7 to hand the Fighting Irish their first loss of the year. It’s the third consecutive season that Jefferson County has beaten Dublin. Dontavious Kitchens scored three touchdowns to pace the Warriors. Dublin can still clinch the Region 3-AA title with a victory against winless Southeast Bulloch. Jefferson County secured its spot in the playoffs and could improve its standing with a victory at Bleckley County, currently second in the region.
- Still unranked Lamar guarantees title: Unranked Lamar County improved to 9-0 with a 51-15 victory against Greene County. The Trojans close the season against Monticello, but are guaranteed the region title and first-round home game.
- Carver carves out region title: No. 4 Carver is guaranteed first place in the region after its 67-6 victory against Jordan on Thursday, combined with Temple’s 41-19 loss to Callaway on Friday. Carver finishes the season at Temple, but wins the region because, even with a loss, it holds the tiebreaker over second-place Callaway.
- It’s Buford vs. Blessed Trinity in region: Division A champion Buford will meet Division B champion Blessed Trinity for the region title. Lovett plays at No. 3-ranked Greater Atlanta Christian and Decatur plays at Westminster for the other two state playoff slots.
- It’s Pepperell vs. Calhoun in 7-AA: Pepperell blanked Model 33-0 to clinch the Division A title, and No. 2 Calhoun defeated Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe 35-13 to win Division B. Pepperell and Calhoun meet Friday for the region championship and No. 1 seed. Calhoun beat the Dragons 39-7 during the regular season.