Several region titles can be decided Friday in Class AAAAA. Here’s a region-by-region look –
• Coffee (5-4, 2-1) can win Region 1 with a victory Friday over Colquitt County (7-1, 2-0). If Colquitt wins, the region title will be decided when Colquitt plays at Valdosta (7-2, 2-1) on Nov. 4. Colquitt is heavily favored, having routed Lowndes, which routed Coffee last week. Perhaps more interesting is the Lowndes-Tift County game Friday. Lowndes, ranked No. 3 in preseason, didn’t expect to be playing a must-win game in October. The loser is out of the state playoffs.
• Stephenson and M.L. King, both 8-0 overall and 5-0 in Region 2, will play for the region title on Nov. 4 – if Stephenson takes care of Newnan (5-3, 4-1) on Friday. In many ways, Stephenson-MLK could be the most hyped game of the regular season.
• Camden County has clinched its 11th straight title in Region 3-AAAAA.
• In Region 4, Hillgrove (8-0) can clinch its first-ever region title with a victory over Kennesaw Mountain (0-8).
• Walton (8-0, 4-0) and Marietta (4-4, 4-0) are playing for the Region 5 title at Walton on Friday. Walton is ranked No.6, but Marietta has won four straight games. A region title by Marietta would be more surprising than even a Coffee region title.
• Alpharetta (7-1, 4-0) can clinch its first region title in its history in Region 6 with a victory over Centennial (4-4, 3-1). A Centennial victory gives West Forsyth (8-1, 4-1) an opening and favorable position in tiebreakers.
• Region 7 will be decided Nov. 4, when North Gwinnett plays Peachtree Ridge. Both are 7-1 overall, 5-1 in region play.
• Grayson can clinch its third Region 8 title in four seasons with a victory over Brookwood. A Brookwood victory likely would create a three-way tie (Grayson, Brookwood and Dacula) that wouldn’t be settled until the final weekend of the season. Though Brookwood (6-2) is the defending Class AAAAA champion, Grayson (8-0) is heavily favored, ranked No. 2 in AAAAA and No. 5 nationally by USA Today.