Five things we might learn this week in AAAAA –
1. Who are the real challengers to Stephenson and M.L. King in Region 2? Those are the state-ranked teams from this region, but we’ll get a sense of who’s next in line when East Coweta (3-0) plays Luella (3-0) and Newton (3-0) plays Newnan (1-2).
2. Can Etowah defend its title in Region 5? This region plays its first region games this week, and Etowah (2-2) went 6-0 last season. The new region favorite, Walton (4-0), visits Etowah on Friday.
3. Who will challenge Grayson in Region 8? Grayson, ranked No. 3 in the state, is the clear favorite in Region 8. Games between defending champion Brookwood (2-2) and Central Gwinnett (3-1), and returning playoff teams Parkview (1-2) and South Gwinnett (1-3) will suggest Grayson’s top rival.
4. Can Roswell win, finally? Roswell is 0-4 for the first time since 1952, but not written off in not-so-strong Region 6. The Hornets hope to win their opener at North Forsyth, another 0-4 team.
5. Can Lowndes dominate a good Class AAAA team? Lowndes was No. 1 until the McEachern loss and has beaten Leon, Fla. 39-22 and Burke County 31-21, but not without some struggle. Lowndes beat Ware 3-0 last season, and Ware is probably a better team this time around.