Schools cancel or postpone outdoor activities, including football, for Wednesday
Henry County Public Schools has canceled all outdoor activities, including football practice, for Wednesday. The decision was made by assistant superintendent Rodney Bowler.
It is sizzling temperatures in the Atlanta area on Wednesday, with the heat index expected to reach 107 degrees.
Two Georgia high school football players died on Tuesday in two separate incidents, one from Locust Grove High School and another from Fitzgerald High School. Doctor believe that Locust Grove offensive lineman Forest Jones, 16, may have had a heat stroke or heat exhaustion before his death, according to his family. To read more, click here
Other weather-related closings on Wednesday:
- Cobb County Schools have canceled all outdoor activities between 12-6 p.m. until further notice due to “the extreme heat index.”
- Clayton County Schools canceled football practice today. Said Drew High School athletics director and football coach Jarrett Laws: “They will notify us as to our future practice availability. I’ve made a personal decision to practice in top shells and shorts in order to assist in the kids care.”
- Decatur High School canceled all outdoor practices between 12-6 p.m. “in light of the current heat index.”
- Cherokee County Schools canceled outdoor activities from 12-6 p.m. “due to the anticipated high heat index … Athletic practices, band practices and other outdoor extracurricular activities are to be moved indoors; or, these may be conducted after 6:00 PM (with close adherence to the School District’s protocols for extreme weather conditions). Coaches/Sponsors are to review and carefully adhere to procedures and guidelines for extreme weather conditions. The use of web bulbs, frequent hydration of participants and close monitoring of weather conditions and participants is imperative.”
- Paulding County Schools postponed all outdoor activities until after 6 p.m. on both Wednesday and Thursday.
- Atlanta Public Schools have banned all outdoor activities until after 6 p.m. for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Do you know of any cancellations? If so, please post below or email firstname.lastname@example.org