Five comments about our Class AA preseason all-state team:
- Carver of Columbus, the newest state power in Class AA, has four players on our team, the most of any school. It almost was five, as Carver DB Riyahd Jones is pretty good. He’s committed to Kentucky as a cornerback.
- Class AA has perhaps more elite juniors than any other class. Buford OL Vadal Alexander (who will miss part of the season with a viral infection) and Carver DB Deion Bonner and have offers from multiple SEC and ACC schools before playing their first games as 11th-graders. Pepperell DL Dakota Ball has offers from Georgia and Georgia Tech. Alabama and Georgia want Dodge County’s Leonard Floyd as an OLB in their 3-4 defenses. Fitzgerald QB Kaleb Nobles has an offer from Clemson. Even the kicker, Calhoun’s Adam Griffith, has an offer. Alabama wants him. Buford DB Ryan Dillard, though undersized, should be getting similar offers. He’s the CB best known for his good work on Calhoun WR Da’Rick Rogers in the 2009 Class AA final.
- Class AA also is stacked at RB. Carver’s Isaiah Crowell, Callaway’s Marquis Terrell and Westminster’s Ralph D. Abernathy IV (also known as RD4) each rushed for more than 1,500 yards last year. No other classification has three players who can claim that. Plus, Buford’s Dominique Swope rushed for more than 1,400 yards as a sophomore at Sequoyah in 2008. To make room here, we’ve got three RB and no TE, while having to leave out a great one in Lovett’s Zach Boden.
- Shannon Brown, the Cook LB who has committed to Alabama, is listed first as a WR by his coach, Ken Cofer, who says he might line up at RB also.
- Regions 6 and 7 have the most players selected. The tally goes like this: Region 1 (3), Region 2 (0), Region 3 (2), Region 4 (1), Region 5 (5), Region 6 (5), Region 7 (6), Region 8 (4). This makes us ripe for accusations of North Georgia bias, but it’s mostly a coincidence. If Carver and Charlton County had stayed in their classifications, this all-state team would be different.
QB – Kaleb Nobles, Fitzgerald, Jr.
RB – Ralph D. Abernathy, Westminster, Sr.
RB – Isaiah Crowell, Carver, Sr.
RB – Marquis Terrell, Callaway, Sr.
WR – Rod Hall, Laney, Sr.
WR – J.T. Palmer, Calhoun, Sr.
OL – Vadal Alexander, Buford, Jr.
OL – Jack Bradley, Blessed Trinity, Sr.
OL – Mike Brown, Northeast, Sr.
OL – Kyle Harris, Pepperell, Sr.
OL – Quincy McKinney, Carver, Sr.
ATH – Dre Prather, Gordon Central, Sr.
PK – Adam Griffith, Calhoun, Jr.
DL – Dakota Ball, Pepperell, Jr.
DL – Sterling Bailey, East Hall, Sr.
DL – Leonard Floyd, Dodge County, Jr.
DL – Gabriel Wright, Carver, Sr.
LB – Shannon Brown, Cook, Sr.
LB - Chaz Cheeks, East Hall, Sr.
LB – T.K. Thomas, Blessed Trinity, Sr.
DB – Deion Bonner, Carver, Jr.
DB – Valdon Cooper, Elbert County, Sr.
DB – Ryan Dillard, Buford, Jr.
DB – Jeffery Dyson, Thomasville, Sr.
P – Landon Beck, Hart County, Sr.
Georgia High School Football Daily is a free e-mail newsletter. To sign up, click here: