Recipe: Muddled Berry Wine Spritzer
Our wine week continues with a wine spritzer recipe. Refreshing, effervescent and light, this simple cocktail combines white wine, muddled berries and seltzer in an easy sipping spring drink. This practically screams patio season. I used a Pinot Grigio from Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi, and the notes of fresh peach and citrus complemented the juicy, muddled berries. Feel free to swap out berries or try a different white- a white zinfandel will add more floral aromas.
Muddled Berry Wine Spritzer (serves 4)
- 1 bottle of Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Pinot Grigio (750 mL), chilled
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup ice per drink (so 2 cups total)
- 1 cup sparkling beverage*
*for more sweetness use Sprite, less use a plain seltzer
- Place strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in a saucepan on the stove and simmer on low for 10 minutes, or until the berries release their juices. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- You will have to shake up each beverage separately. Add ¼ of the berry mixture and muddle. Add ¼ of the wine and ½ cup of ice.
- Shake up the mixture, then pour into glasses. Repeat with remaining three drinks.
- Top each wine cooler with sparkling beverage and stir to combine.
- Garnish with fresh thyme and strawberries.
-By Alexa Lampasona for the Food & More blog