RECIPE: Buffalo Chicken Satay with Sage Bleu Cheese Dip
Today we share a recipe by Chef Shane McIntosh, executive chef and owner of Ocean Catering Company. This exuberant, well-rounded chef – once compared to Julia Child with tattoos – is just as proud of his dry-rubbed barbecue as he is of his caramelized mango foie gras. From the Caribbean cuisine of Automatic Slims Tonga Club, to The Main Dining Room of the Ritz-Carlton San Francisco, to the prestigious James Beard House in New York City, to private dining in Paris, Chef Shane now pulls these influences together, creating his own style of robust culinary prowess. For more information on Ocean Catering Company visit www.oceancateringcompany.com.
Buffalo Chicken Satay with Sage Bleu Cheese Dip
(Serves 4-6 people)
- Rinse 2 pounds of trimmed chicken breast in colander under running water.
- Shake colander, then pat dry chicken using paper towel.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips approximately finger-sized.
- Set aside.
Buffalo Mahogany Sauce
(The original sauce is very hot, but you can control the heat)
- 1 cup Oyster Sauce (you can find this in the Asian foods section of your grocery store)
- 1/2 cup Sriracha Chili sauce (also in Asian foods section)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- Add vinegar, Sriracha and Oyster sauce in medium mixing bowl. Blend until dark and smooth.
- Using half of the sauce, toss cut chicken in bowl making sure Mahogany sauce coats evenly. Let marinate 1-2 hours.
- Thread chicken onto 6 inch skewers and set aside.
- Grill chicken sticks over medium-high heat on grill or in a large grill pan on the stove.
- Sear approximately 4 minutes on either side or until done. It doesn’t take very long since they are so thin.
- Once removed from heat, let set covered for 5 minutes to allow skewers to rest.
- Drizzle remaining Buffalo sauce over skewers.
Sage Bleu cheese dip
1. Add into food processor and blend–
- 3 cups mayo
- 2 tablespoons Dijon
- 2 tablespoons garlic
2. Then, add into the food processor while running –
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- Squirt lemon juice
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 shots sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
3. Blend well.
4. For one more time, add –
- Fresh chopped sage
- 1/2 – 1 cup Bleu cheese (depending on your love for stinky cheese)
5. Blend again.