A Korean restaurant in Doraville failed a recent health inspection because employees did not protect raw bean sprouts from potential contamination.
The sprouts at Dongnea Bangnea, 3042 Oakcliff Road, were wrapped in newspaper, handled with bare hands, and not kept at a safe temperature, said a Gwinnett County inspector.
The restaurant scored a 56/U on the follow-up inspection. Its previous score was a 75/C on a routine inspection in August. Because of this latest low score, Dongnea Bangnea will be inspected again within 10 days.
Points were taken off because one employee handled raw bean sprouts with bare hands, and another was prepping sprouts without wearing a hair restraint.
While working with the vegetables, employees used newspaper, instead of food grade materials, to the hold the sprouts.
Some of the bean sprouts were not maintained within a safe temperature range. Raw eggs and raw sprouts in the top prep cooler were about 10 degrees too high and were put on ice to lower the temperatures.
Among other violations, an employee was using the meat sink to wash hands. Raw ground beef was improperly stored in a cooler next to hot dogs and above ready-to-eat foods and raw fish. Raw beef was left out on the prep table to thaw.
Also, the floors in the storage area and behind the wok were unclean with food debris and grease build-up, according to the report.
Employees at Dongnea Bangnea declined to comment on the inspection report.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
- by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)