A Mexican restaurant in Suwanee lost its permit after repeat problems maintaining safe food temperatures and clean equipment led to a failing health score.
The 65/U was the second consecutive failing routine inspection for Cinco Mexican, 1500 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard. The inspector said two coolers were not keeping temperatures within the proper range. Numerous food items, all prepared the day before, were discarded.
Points were also taken off for repeatedly using improper cooling methods to lower the temperature of potentially hazardous foods. For example, a container of hot cheese dip was allowed to cool at room temperature, then placed into a deep covered plastic container in the walk-in cooler.
Equipment was not being kept clean, the inspector said. Knives and fry baskets, that had been cleaned and stored, were still dirty with food debris. The knives were stored in an unclean container.
In other violations, an employee was cutting onions prior to washing them. Several food items were being held past their expiration dates. Crab burgers, lobster dip, some homemade mayonnaise and fajita sauce were all discarded.
The facility also needed cleaning. Grease build-up was observed on cook-line equipment and the floor underneath. Spilled food was inside a freezer, and a soda gun at the bar was also dirty.
Cinco Mexican attended a compliance hearing with Gwinnett County health officials and will be re-inspected. The restaurant had a 66/U on a routine inspection in May, then scored a 90/A on the follow-up health check.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
- by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)