A Vietnamese restaurant in Duluth had its food permit suspended last week after failing a second consecutive routine health inspection.
Employees at Huong Lan Banh Mi, 1630 Pleasant Hill Road, could not demonstrate food safety knowledge, said a Gwinnett County inspector who gave the business a 48/U. The restaurant scored a 66/U in November.
Points were deducted for uncleanliness. The inspector said several plates and bowls were stored as if clean even though they were coated in grease. The meat slicer was covered with food debris. Several utensils were stored in unclean containers and not kept clean. Mold was growing inside a teapot.
Food was not properly separated in the cooler or freezer. In the walk-in cooler, raw pork and raw beef were stored above spicy soup and sauces. Raw eggs were above ready-to-eat foods. In the freezer, raw chicken was on top of soup mix and raw beef.
Several foods were discarded because of wrong temperatures or cooling methods.
Noodles, beef, pork, tendon, ham, eggs and other cold-held items were all above the temperature range and were thrown out.
Cooked pork was thrown away because it was being cooled improperly in a large container and tightly wrapped in a plastic bag.
Restaurant management met with Gwinnett County health officials last week to go over a corrective action plan, and the facility will need to pass a follow-up inspection before the permit is reinstated.
In other news, a recently featured restaurant, Wasabi & Sushi, 1291 Old Peachtree Road, Suwanee, scored an 87/B on a follow-up inspection.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)