A food booth at China Mall in Chamblee was recently closed by the DeKalb County Health Department after failing a second consecutive routine inspection.
Among the violations at China Kitchen, 5385 New Peachtree Road, raw pork belly and cabbage were being prepped in the multi-compartment sink at the same time. The cabbage was thrown away.
Vegetables can only be washed in the vegetable sink, and the multi-compartment sink should be sanitized before and after thawing or prepping raw animal products, the inspector noted.
Prepared sauces and beans were also subject to contamination because they were stored below and next to raw animal foods in the cooler. The items were rearranged to be stored separately.
In other violations, raw fish and uncooked buns filled with pork were stored on a rack at room temperature in the kitchen. China Kitchen manager explained that the food was prepped for cooking and had only been left out for 15 minutes. However, that was long enough for the temperatures to drop to a hazardous level. The food was immediately moved into the freezer to cool.
In another case, potentially hazardous cooked foods were not being kept hot enough. Some boiled eggs in soy sauce were discarded by the manager.
China Kitchen last failed a routine inspection in October with a 61/U, but pulled it up to an 84/B on the follow-up inspection. The restaurant must remain closed until it is re-inspected and re-opened by the health department, according to the report.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)