Hunan Dragon III, a take-out Chinese restaurant in Decatur, was given a failing health score after a DeKalb County inspector noted several code violations that compromised food safety.
For example, one set of tongs was used to handle raw beef, raw pork and raw chicken. The inspector said that separate tongs needed to be used on different animal products to minimize cross contamination of bacteria.
Also, food prep items taken from the cooler were left out too long. Some cracked eggs, a garlic and oil mixture and some partially cooked chicken wings were discarded because the temperatures were too high.
The inspector told employees to take out only what they need to cook, and leave the rest in the cooler.
Hunan Dragon III, 1248 Clairmont Road, scored a 54/U on the routine inspection.
Among other code violations, raw chicken was being thawed improperly. Some was left out at room temperature. Other chicken was being thawed in a sink with dirty dishes. The inspector said sinks had to be cleared of dishes and sanitized before using them to thaw raw meats under running water.
Also, leftover foods were not marked with a discard date. Food prep employees were not wearing hair restraints. Aluminum foil and cardboard were used to line food contact surfaces. Food debris was found on clean utensils, and the floors had grease build-up.
Hunan Dragon III will be re-inspected later this month.
A restaurant employee said the code violations have been taken care of and employees are just waiting for the inspector to return so they can get an improved score.
Previous scores were 81/B and 71/C.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)