Yamni Yamni, a food booth inside Chamblee’s Chinatown shopping mall, had to toss out a lot of chicken wings after a DeKalb County health inspector said food safety was compromised.
Cooked wings were discarded because no one could tell how long they had been sitting on a counter away from any heat source.
Another batch of wings in the cooler was thrown out because the cooked meat had not cooled down fast enough to prevent bacteria growth.
Some 20 to 30 moldy tomatoes found in the cooler were also tossed away.
The Japanese fast food restaurant at 5385 New Peachtree Road was given a failing score of 63/U on the routine inspection. Management was told to come up with a risk control plan for food safety and provide better training and monitoring of employees.
In other violations, a box of frozen chicken, stored on the floor, had been thawing at room temperature for almost four hours. The inspector had the chicken moved onto a shelf inside the cooler to finish thawing properly.
Live insects were observed in the kitchen, and a dead insect was spotted on a container lid in the refrigerator. Since Yamni Yamni has had past problems controlling pests, management was advised to get rid of any clutter where they could be nesting.
The facility also needed repairs and cleaning. Gaskets were held in place with Duck tape, light fixtures had no shields and the ceiling and base of walls near the sink were dirty.
Yamni Yamni was expecting a follow-up inspection at press time, according to manager Seung K. Suh. Previous health scores were 80/B and 78/C.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
Chateau Creole, 645 Windy Hill Road, Smyrna. 81/B
Pisano’s Pizzeria, 2740 Summers St., Kennesaw. 99/A
The Spot Grill, 185 Veterans Memorial Highway, Mableton. 96/A
Wings & Burger Haven, 2745 Sandy Plains Road, Marietta. 100/A
Zoes Kitchen, 2935 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta. 77/C
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)