A DeKalb County Vietnamese take-out restaurant voluntarily closed last week after an inspector found infestations of roaches and rodents, as well as a host of other health violations.
Hello Dau Hu, 5150 Buford Highway, Doraville, was given a failing score of 15 out of 100, and management was given a laundry list of areas that needed improvement.
The restaurant serves mostly take-out meals, snacks and desserts prepared in-house and packaged for customers to grab and go.
The inspector said Hello Dau Hu had a severe roach infestation problem, which was observed inside several open boxes of dry foods. In addition, rodent droppings were found inside open boxes of dry noodles and other open bulk food containers. The facility’s walls had holes consistent with rodent holes, the inspector said.
All of the contaminated boxes, as well as some plastic bags of food, were thrown away.
Other contaminated items — a packaged rice dish with a hair inside, moldy bananas and uncovered prepared foods in a cooler — were also discarded.
There were problems with food temperatures. Raw eggs on a customer display were being held at room temperature. Cooked foods being held at room temperature had either no time controls or the wrong times recorded. Cooked food can be held out no longer than 4 hours.
Several foods in the reach-in cooler were above the 41-degree limit. Meats and other frozen foods were being thawed improperly. Cooked foods were not being cooled correctly to correctly.
Employees were not following proper health code, either. They were not wearing hair restraints when the inspector arrived. One employee took trash to the dumpster then did not wash hands when returning to the kitchen. An employee rinsed off soiled equipment then stored it away without sanitizing or drying it. Boxes of raw meat were delivered and placed on the prep table next to ready-to-eat foods.
Manager Hai Tran said the restaurant will have another inspection and then re-open.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)