Coco’s Chinese Restaurant in Chamblee was forced to close last week after failing a routine health inspection with a score of 35/U.
The restaurant at 4897 Buford Highway had no certified food safety manager on staff, and no employee health policy, the inspector said.
Upon arrival, the inspector said she saw an employee smoking a cigarette while handling food, then not washing their hands with soap afterwards.
Foods were not protected from contamination. Raw duck was stored in the same container as cooked meat. Raw chicken was stored next to cooked foods.
Frozen foods were being thawed at room temperature. Some raw fish was being rinsed at the vegetable sink.
Surfaces were not sanitized properly. An employee rinsed a cutting board with only water after cutting raw meat, the inspector said.
Chemicals were not stored properly. Gel chafing fuel was stored in a reach-in cooler beside customer foods. Several chemical spray bottles were not labeled.
Coco’s management met with DeKalb County health officials for a compliance hearing last Thursday. The restaurant will have another inspection before it can re-open. Managers were unavailable for comment at press time. Coco’s previous score was an 83/B.
A recently featured restaurant in Cherokee County pulled up its health score on a follow-up inspection. Hana Japanese Restaurant, 147 Reinhardt College Parkway, Canton, scored an 88/B.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)