An American Deli in Grayson had its food permit suspended recently because its sanitizing solution contained too much chlorine bleach.
The restaurant at 1911 Grayson Highway was given a 48/U on the Nov. 6 routine inspection.
This was the third consecutive inspection that American Deli had its chlorine sanitizer at a toxic level, said the Gwinnett, Newton & Rockdale County Health inspector.
When chemicals are not used properly they pose a hazard to food safety, the inspector said.
Chlorine solution is used to rinse dishes, and clean tables, counters and other areas that come in contact with food.
All of the chlorine sanitizing solution had been mixed to a toxic level, including the water in the sanitizing buckets and the compartment sink for dishes, according to the inspection report.
American Deli manager was also cited for not knowing what symptoms of illness to look for in employees that handle food, and when to report these to the health department.
In other violations, an employee was spotted handling raw steak then touching sandwich bread with the same gloves.
Some shredded cheese in the prep cooler was moldy and needed to be discarded. The manager said the cheese was not being used and the staff just forgot to throw it out.
An employee at American Deli said the restaurant staff is preparing for a follow-up inspection later this month. Previous inspection scores were 85/B and 93/A.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)