Viet Tofu, a Vietnamese to-go restaurant and grocery store in Chamblee, improved its health rating and was allowed to reopen after failing a recent routine inspection.
The facility received a 38/U on Oct. 29. Employee Lan Le said the inspector came early that Monday before employees had time to get the restaurant in order.
“We were crazy busy on Sunday and everyone was so tired,” Le said. “They came too early on Monday, and we didn’t have time to clean up. If they had come later we would have had everything in order.”
Since this was Viet Tofu’s second failing health score this year the facility at 4897 Buford Highway was closed by the inspector.
During the routine visit the inspector found moldy bananas, mung bean cakes, yucca cakes, peanuts and sandwich spread. It was all discarded. There was also mold inside the ice machine, which had to be drained and cleaned.
An employee was observed digging discarded unwrapped packaged food out of a trashcan in an effort to salvage it. Once something has been thrown away it cannot be retrieved, the inspector told them.
Cooked foods left in the cooler overnight were not covered. Raw meats stored in the freezer needed to be rearranged to prevent cross-contamination. Also, bulk foods, single service items, utensils and some equipment were left on the floor instead of being put on shelves.
Viet Tofu scored a 75/C on its follow-up inspection Oct. 31.
“We fixed everything. Now everything is back to normal,” Le said.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)