A new restaurant in Duluth stumbled during its first routine food service inspection earning a failing score of 57.
Nanoom Togo, 3312 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, was docked for numerous code violations during the Sept. 4 inspection, including food-borne safety issues involving food storage and temperatures.
Raw meats and eggs were being stored above vegetables, sauces and noodles in the walk-in cooler. Raw chicken was stored in the same container with hot pepper paste in the freezer. Food was also uncovered in the freezer and cooler.
Some produce in the cooler was wrapped in newspaper, putting it at risk for the transfer of ink and other contaminants.
Multiple personal items and employee beverages were found among the food storage and prep areas. And some insecticide and window cleaner were also found stored with the food.
There were no thermometers in the facility to take the temperature of foods, according to the inspector.
Among other violations, food debris was on meat slicers and the microwave, a colander of cabbage was on the drainboard of the dish sink, and broccoli was in a sink which is to be used only for washing and preparing meats.
The inspector also observed live roaches, ants, house flies and fruit flies, and was told a pest control service had been contacted.
Nanoom owner Seungmin Lee was given his food permit in late June to open the restaurant, and this was its first inspection since opening. The restaurant will be re-inspected in the next two weeks. Lee was unavailable for comment.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)